Replace 2008 LC200 with newer year or modify? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am contemplating whether or not to modify (Ironman Foam 2” lift, full front bumper and rack) or trade in for 2016. I have 135K miles on my 2008. I know this is a bit of a silly question but curious of thoughts on a $4K upgrade or spend $30K (after trade) for a newer model. GO!

Last edited:
Is something wrong with your 08 mechanically or otherwise?

To each their own, but I’d keep it personally.

no debt is always better, a paid off truck is the best truck. You have more money to modify it to your liking, only thing you're missing out from the new 200 series is turn assist where it tightens the turning radius and new looks, maybe the camera systems but other than that that's it. I would keep it and build it into a badass prerunner.

I’m leaning that way. Keeping it would make for a much better rig since I can really modify it with the extra cash. Now the questions are:

ironman or OME suspension?
ARB or Ironman front replacement?

Spend $2k on the big screen radio to update the tech, then season with build as you like. What you miss is the modern tech ( not that a 2020 has it). Rest of stuff all essentially the same

Big screen tech effectively erases one of the advantages with a landcruiser though.. reliability/durability.

If you want more modern you could look at a 2013 that got bluetooth audio, vented seats, updated nav and instrument cluster (huge difference from the drivers seat over 08-11), turn assist, tint, and lots of little things.. for much cheaper than a 16.. and still keep toyota levels of reliability.

And then build it.

All the while since the tech is better it doesn’t feel as ancient every time you are in it.

Why not get a 2016, then mod the 2016 with Ironman + front bumper?

I’m pretty skeptical of the audio video reliability as I had the stock amp blow Already. If you are referring to the climate controls, I don’t trust that interface for much longer either. The rset of world climate stack and a 2 din av setup would be the best.

most all the convenience features are on all model years of lx570, just saying. Not to crack open the whole ahc conversation.

i do think there is little functional difference In the years. Newer cars are newer. in 2016 the tranny was updated.

I’m pretty skeptical of the audio video reliability as I had the stock amp blow Already. If you are referring to the climate controls, I don’t trust that interface for much longer either. The rset of world climate stack and a 2 din av setup would be the best.

most all the convenience features are on all model years of lx570, just saying. Not to crack open the whole ahc conversation.

i do think there is little functional difference In the years. Newer cars are newer. in 2016 the tranny was updated.

I think I remember that. Still, those failures are very, very rare. Statistically they still meet toyota's standards for reliability. I guarantee chinese android-based tablets will not. Even tesla's early big screens leak carcinogenic fluids out the bottom.. and they were designed start to finish (though obviously not adequately) for use in vehicles.

Functionally no, not much difference. But as someone that shopped 08-11 and 13-15, the 13+ -feels- much more modern from the driver's seat. The color dash and xenon headlamps make a huge difference, IMO, which are not on early LX570s either. All while costing way less than the much better looking exterior 16+.

I am contemplating whether or not to modify (Ironman Foam 2” lift, full front bumper and rack) or trade in for 2016. I have 135K miles on my 2008. I know this is a bit of a silly question but curious of thoughts on a $4K upgrade or spend $30K (after trade) for a newer model. GO!
2016 was the first year with the new transmission. I'd go 2017 or newer, rather than a 2016, as I try to avoid first year vehicles. YMMV.

Keep the '08 and build it up. Not worth the $30k + trade switch to a '16 plus.

Ironman Foam Cell Performance kit would be my choice of the 2 for suspension, but you can't go wrong with either. Same with the bumper, just choose what style you like best.

I vote for keep and modify.

At least that is the direction I took. If they still had Amazon Green, I would have been sorely tempted. Then again, I own my '13 and for a very small fraction of the price of a new one, I'm able to do everything I could have imagined to make this one my own. Even with high end choices, assuming you are doing your own work, you'd have to shop hard to spend more than $15K or so, tricking it out with bolt ons (in case my wife is reading, I'm nowhere near that - :) )...

Get a newer one. Sell the one you have, add $10k get a 13-15.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom