Repairing threads 2nd row seats. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I tried searching but couldn't find anything. One of the threaded holes for my 2nd row seats is toast. It was stripped out sometime in it's previous life. I cleaned the threads up with a tap but the bolt just spins and pulls out. The threads in the hole are basically gone.

I want to drill and tap the hole to the next size up but I want to make sure there is enough material in the floor before I start drilling.

Has anyone else done this? Does anyone know if there is enough metal to drill and tap new threads in the floor?

Thanks

There will be but only go up the minimum in size. Even if switching to sae is closest. It sucks if you break the captive nut with a tap stuck in it.

It’s been awhile since I’ve pulled my 2nd rows out so I probably don’t have a clue about what I’m talking about😄. How about using a longer bolt and nut/washer under the rig?

This is what I was thinking would work good too...

Gas tank is in the way.

Sheeeiitttt. I'd say then the easiest route is to re-tap with the next size..

If that doesn't work...could you weld a threaded rod on and then that one hole has a nut?
Yeah, welding a stud was my other idea but I don't like the idea of a stud permanently sticking out of the floor. I usually have the 2nd row seats removed.

I think I am just going to go ahead and try drilling and taping new threads.

Or weld, drill, and tap the same size it is now?

What about a helicoil?

I have only used helicoils in once. A helicoil would probably work, I didn't really think about them. How strong is a helicoil compared to regular threads?

Or weld, drill, and tap the same size it is now?

Also an option, but I want to avoid welding in my truck if I can. Tapping new threads or using the helicoil sounds easier than pulling the carpet, welding, grinding, and painting.

I've used helicoils quite a bit. Depending on whether its a true insert or a just a coil they are as strong or stronger than the base material.
Probably more info than you need, but as an engineer I use these resources often.

Well I went to the hardware store. A helicoil kit for M10*1.25 was $55.00....

Because I am not dealing with aluminum, I don't care if I use a different bolt, and I am a cheap SOB, I opted to go for the M12*1.25 tap and a bolt for $10.00

The helicoil kit would have required a 13/32" drill bit and the M12*1.25 required a 27/64" drill bit. Another reason I went with the tap was the fact that I only had to drill a 1/64" bigger hole. I figured if I didn't have enough steel in the reinforced floor area for the 27/64" bit than I wouldn't have adequate steel for the helicoil to hold up in a wreck or something.

Anyways for future prosperity there is enough material in the floor to drill and tap the 2nd row seat holes for an M12*1.25 thread.

Old buggered threads:
20210330_165125.jpg

The tap:
20210330_165610.jpg

New threads:
20210330_165938.jpg

Good to go:
20210330_182148.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom