Repairing broken seat control knobs (my way at least) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MScruiser

obsessive-compulsive oppositional-defiant wise-ass
Threads
The electronic seat tilt knobs were both missing and broken when I bought my 1997 80 Series last year. As the plastic post that is integrated into the seat controls were broken off at the base, the only way to get control working again, would have been to buy an entire control module for each seat. At over $150 a pop, that wasn’t going to happen. Another option is to jam a wood screw into the broken tab. While this does regain control of the switch function, it looks like crap. And since I am trying to restore this peach of a Collector’s Edition, it wasn’t going to fly.

The first thing I had to do was track down 2 oak colored knobs in good condition. This was a lot harder than it sounded, and took me several weeks.

Once in hand, I came up with a decent solution, that was relatively easy to do as well.

Firstly, this will ONLY work if the original black plastic pivot post is still present on your control module. See below:
DF4E9F32-3A13-4627-B063-A3FC4863D995.jpeg

Next, look in your screw/bolt bin and find one with a head that is the correct diameter to fit snugly within the small recess of the knob. You need to ensure it’s around 1”long, but if you’ve got a grinder, you can fine-tune the length later. Just make sure it’s not too short before proceeding to the next step.

D39FD355-0586-459F-A6A3-B8F2D0989B31.jpeg

F66CCCFE-96F2-4DFA-A095-FA2CA78F1097.jpeg

Next get some strong epoxy (I’m using JB Weld) and fill the void/recess in the back side of the knob.
5EA9B451-3F78-42D1-8478-C7EC8A6DE6BF.jpeg

Then install the screw into the recess and pack the excess epoxy around the screw head.

EBF2CA0C-5278-4ADF-8F5B-12445D05C013.jpeg

Last edited:
Next, before the epoxy begins to cure, ensure the screw is perfectly parallel with the recess.
06F4E5EC-6341-4E18-B65B-68D8A88092FE.jpeg

Next, you’ll want to find something to cover those nasty screw threads. I happened to have some thin black fuel line that worked perfectly.
A2146F25-4CA0-4CB0-A016-72201A104089.jpeg

Thread the fuel line over 3/4’s of the exposed threads, leaving a good bit exposed at the end. It will look like this:
1EEBA554-6CFE-4843-83DE-09873E7CD4E8.jpeg

Next step is to find a drill bit ever so slightly larger in diameter than the screw you found, and drill a hole in the control module where the broken tab is. Careful here, you only want to drill through the black plastic, and not what’s behind it.

Next fine tune the length of the exposed threads to ensure that the bolt fully engages the new hole you drilled, but will not be too long to not allow the switch to be installed.

Finally, install the switch, and enjoy
A0048BE0-0CA3-48EF-B088-5D8604077959.jpeg

Last edited:
Your timeliness of this post is astounding, we noticed last weekend that my passenger side knob broke off. Luckily the knob was caught by the seat cover so I have that going for me.

Thank you.

Where did you end up finding the knob? There’s one I’ve found through Toyota for $25 and I think it’s this knob. I however need both this knob and the seat slide adjust knob.

Where did you end up finding the knob? There’s one I’ve found through Toyota for $25 and I think it’s this knob. I however need both this knob and the seat slide adjust knob.

Talk to the guys with used parts
@arcteryx
@slow95z

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom