Repair recommendation in SF bay area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good day,

Does anyone have a recommendation for a repair shop with knowledge of FJ60's in the SF/San Jose area? I know it's a stretch as I have one of few around here (it's a Prius-kinda area) but I thought I would ask.

I need a stud replaced or the exhaust header #6 replaced (which ever is more feasible) due to a stud breaking on the J-tube EGR flange. It got very noisy and... while I have tighted up the remaining flange nut and the lower slip ring on the EGR cooler, it won't last long. I think I need "professional" help on this verses trying it on my own, however, finding a shop that has more experience than me seems to be a challenge.

Insights and opinions appreciated.

Enjoy in good health.

Multiple recommendation for Sonoma. It's about 90 miles away which is a bit of a pain. I emailed a couple of shops in the San Jose area but only got one reply. Scared the others, I guess. Anyway, the guy said he had done it before, it would cost at least $400 in labor plus parts. Assuming the exhaust manifold on #6 can be used, the cost of studs is peanuts. If it's a "new" exhaust manifold that's probably $200. The "at least $400" I read to be $500. Will continue to look. The 90 mile drive to Sonoma might be worth it, drop off, come back a week later, etc.. Aggggg.... nothin's easy...

Keep those cards and letters comin'...

Customs Cruisers FJ-40 (408) 842-3540 located in San Martin is a mechanic I trust to work on my Cruiser. Another place located in Campbell is Comerson's Off Road (408) 930-5331. They are heavy into Mini trucks and fabrication. Good luck!

It looks like I may have to make the 90 mile trip to Sonoma.

Times must be better than they look. I have asked 9 shops about replacing the stud by either using a stud puller OR replacing the exhaust header OR any other suitable solution. 1 response (the one in SJ saying at least $400 labor and parts). In lieu of alternatives, it's the guy in SJ or Sonoma. The other shops... they must be doing REAL well to ignore potential business.

I'm sort of surprised. Times must be good...

Gary @ Mudrak in Sonoma does great work. You will not be dissapointed. I always take my FJ60 there for work.

Bay Area Speed-O-Motive www.bayareaspeedomotive.com
650-216-7200 Redwood City

hes whitey45 or something like that on the forum here, good guy
OrangeFJ45 is who recommended him to me for bay area cruiser work

Whitey works on FJ 60's? I thought he was just an FJ45 and old school FJ25 / FJ40 guru.

Bay Area Speed-O-Motive www.bayareaspeedomotive.com
650-216-7200 Redwood City

hes whitey45 or something like that on the forum here, good guy
OrangeFJ45 is who recommended him to me for bay area cruiser work

Whitey works on my '60 when I get in over my head !!

His wife just had their 2nd child this week so don't think he will be back in the shop for another week.

He does great work BTW

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom