Repair FJ62 mirror wobble?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
Has anyone found a reliable way to get FJ62 electric mirrors to stop the wobble? At speed I can barely see what's behind me, at night it's a cool but useless light show...
Mark

Has anyone found a reliable way to get FJ62 electric mirrors to stop the wobble? At speed I can barely see what's behind me, at night it's a cool but useless light show...
Mark

I remember a post a long time ago about slipping a small "nerf" ball behind the mirror and it worked, I need to do the same thing.

Aussie mirrors work well to remedy that problem :grinpimp:

Catch one of the mirrors on a tree at Dave's?

A nerf would hold water though (not so good here in the northeast in the winter I imagine)... need to find a very soft NON porous... something....

Sure would like to know if anyone has successfully taken one apart and done some real repair...

Aussie mirrors work well to remedy that problem :grinpimp:

Catch one of the mirrors on a tree at Dave's?

No trees involved... my mirrors are just worn I guess.

as far as buying new ones: I thought they were called Au$$ie mirrors... ;)

I've read that 80 series mirrors have the same problem. Taking the mirror out and re-gluing it seems to solve the problem.

I've read that 80 series mirrors have the same problem. Taking the mirror out and re-gluing it seems to solve the problem.

Take the mirror out... how?

Reglue what? It's not the mirror to it's mount I don't think it's the mount to it's socket (if it's a ball/socket thing?)

Take the mirror out... how?

Reglue what? It's not the mirror to it's mount I don't think it's the mount to it's socket (if it's a ball/socket thing?)

Not the mirror to it's plastic holder, but the holder to it's pivots. The glue deteriorates over time, thus the vibration. I do not know how they take the mirrors out. Pulling gently?? There's no way to disassemble it from the outside, right?

I just don't know... I've tried getting into the mirror but the ONE screw I can see will not budge... and I don't want to break something... I'd love to see pics of what's inside one of these... anyone have a broken one they can take pics of?

Ive taken them apart with no luck.the plastic just breaks. Mike

This post needs pics, but I am sorry, I did not take any, so I will have to try and describe it to you.

My driver side FJ62 mirror unit broke a few weeks ago. No glass breakage, but the mirror was sort of half hanging out of the housing. The servo motors were working, but they did not move the mirror. I dis-assembled the mirror on the dining room table. Basically, I grabbed the mirror and gently pulled it loose from the housing. Smack in the center of the mirror, on the back side, is a ball, may 3/8" diam. This ball engages a socket on the mirror housing. The mirror sort of pivots on this ball. There are two stems that provide the left-right and up-down adjustment. In my case, the main ball had broken off of the back of the mirror. There was a glob of JB Weld there where the PO had fixed it once before. I tried epoxying it again, but could not get the epoxy to take. So, I drilled a hole in the ball, and re-attached it to the housing with a small self-tapping screw.

It worked. I'll see how long it lasts, I guess. A replacement mirror is over $300, and this was a no cost repair. So, I am going to run it and see how it goes.

Again, apologies for no pics. Bottom line is that most Toyota stuff is repairable and this was, too.

Good luck!

I wonder if a small amount of expanding foam insulation injected carefully might end the wobble and be resistant to moisture?

Hey what about the center rear view mirror niether one I have will stay where you adjust them they just hang?

I've read of some using pipe insulation. As I recall they bought the smallest diameter possible at a home center, cut it along the length into strips and gently nudged it in behind the morror when the mirror was at full lock an an axis.

I take no responsibility but I may try it if I need to. Currently my mirrors are not wobbling enough to worry. Then again, I've not touched the mirrors to trees, obstacles or other things in my sordid short FJ62 ownership.

My wife's 80 had a terrible drivers side wobble going on. I couldn't see any real way of fixing it so I had her put it in the spot she wanted it then I wedged a cedar shake between the glass and the housing. I trimmed it off flush with the glass. That worked for about 5 years then one day the glass fell out but didn't break. There are plastic hanger tabs that attach the mirror to the housing which broke. I used emblem adhesive and gobbed a bunch on and put it back in position. Used masking tape wrapped around the housing and glass to hold it while it dried. That's been a few years now with no problem and no wobble.

I did the nerf ball (or seat foam) trick on a friends 62. Been working fine for a year now. I wouldn't use expanding foam at all. It will position the mirror probably where you don't want it and the adjustment will not work.

Yeah i get that on my 62 while idleing sometimes as well...maybe try a piece of memory foam (Tempur-pedic) or something like that....im not sure if it is porous or not, but worth a try

Cheapo foam worked for me on both mirrors. I had a 1'x1x1" square I cut into strips and stuffed up behind the heads. Can actually see out of both (driver's was worst) now.

yep, i tried the pipe insulation trick, and it's worked well for me. i need to add more, but the amount i added seems to have helped tremendously. your point about retaining moisture in NY may be a good one, but it hasn't rained in austin, texas in 486 years, so it's not really a concern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom