Repainting hubs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My front and rear hubs have some knicks and slight surface rust in areas. I just took the center caps off for the first time as I like the look better, but have done some searches to find little about anyone painting them up. Has anyone done this?

I was thinking of taking the rims off and just masking the area around the hub, roughing them up and then giving them a fairly light coat of a matte black paint. I do want something durable so I want to search a bit more... any suggestions? :)

I wirebrushed mine, hit them with primer, and then with gloss black. I cut a piece of cardboard for a mask to keep things neat and keep paint off the rotor.

They're holding up well after one winter. Definitely an improvement and cheaper than buying the hub covers. When I take wheels on and off, I use gloss black touch-up paint on the scratches to keep the rust at bay.

Thanks Mike, I like the cardboard mask idea!

When you touch up, do you just spray it again in the areas of scratches, or do you just dab them with some paint? A couple of my studs for the screws have a bit of light rust on them too, did you hit these as well?

Hey Tee,

I just degreased, wire brushed, masked, and hit them with a couple coats of good quality semi matte black that said it didn't need a primer. I can't remember the brand, but might find the can in the "paint department" if you need a name. Did mine about 6 months ago and they look good still.

Instant visual improvement for about $10 in parts, and 30 minutes in labor!:clap:

I like Mike's cardboard system more than masking though....

It's easy to hit them every 9-12 months with the spray bomb (aerosol spray paint can) but if you want it to last a little longer, I would put a think layer of etching primer on the metal after you wire brush or sand it...it bites into the raw metal a bit better...you only need a very thin dusting coat...anything more is wasting and it's fairly expensive for spray paint. Then I would prime it with a standard primer...let dry to the touch and hit it with the color of your choice.

I'm going to be doing the same to mine in the next week or so, just finishing the final touches on my rehabilitated aluminum wheels. I plan on replacing exposed fasteners with either stainless steel socket heads or 12 point bolts. I will post images when completed with details of my fasteners...hopefully it will turn out nice.

ACE Hardware has some pretty good selection on paint and it's a whole lot more affordable than Auto Zone...check them out.

Thanks Mike, I like the cardboard mask idea!

When you touch up, do you just spray it again in the areas of scratches, or do you just dab them with some paint? A couple of my studs for the screws have a bit of light rust on them too, did you hit these as well?

I used the Dupli-Color Scratch Fix 2 in 1 for touch-ups. The container allows use as either a marker or with a brush built into the cap. Should be available at many auto parts stores. Just too much trouble to use the spray can.

The studs are going to be tough. I'm running the crown-type steel lug nuts, because I'm running OEM steel wheels, so there is no visible area to rust on the studs. The Toyota lug nuts come painted with a very light coat of black paint and really oxidized over the winter so that they look grey. Not sure whether I'm going to do anything about them. Might be worth the trouble of powder coating, but since they're going to be coming off and back on it'll be harder to keep them nice like the hubs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom