Repainting a PPG painted ARB bumper to a new color (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking at painting a used ARB rear bumper I picked up that the previous owner had painted with some type of PPG paint some years ago. I have no paint experience beyond a rattle can and need to change the color.

The bumper has a few chips on it here and there that look like a rock chip on a hood with a rust spot on the metal. So, looking for the best way to address this. Can rust converter type products be spot applied to deal with ths?

There are also some strips of clear bra material on it. Is a heat gun the best way to remove?

Trying to decide on 2 colors. It's for a LX470 with galactic gray paint that looks gray like the body cladding sometimes and other times looks blue. It changes color like those pearl white Cadillacs. If I go black I'm wondering if that's just going to look wrong with blue and gray.

Not looking for perfection here as it could be scratched up on the trail. I know I need to roughen up the finish, but what's the best way to do this? Do I start with a primer or ok to go straight with paint? Does it need to be automotive grade paint or if I go with black could I put appliance epoxy right over?

Thanks for the tips!

A good paint supply house can and will match and mix you any color you want, including expensive toyota perals, just give them the paint code, off you build sticker. I tend to like PPG products my self.

Black will look fine, there are tons and tons of rigs rolling with black ARB's front or rear. I think if it was me and I was worried about scratching and corrosion, I would consider getting it media blasted and powder coated. But thats me ;)

Peel the plastic by hand then remove the rest of the goo with 3m adhesive remover. For the rusty chips, get some 600 grit sand paper and fold it til you can sand the rust out. Hit with a rust coverter if you like. If the paint is still in good shape, just scuff the whole thing down with 600 ir 800 and spray right on top. No need to prime or seal. If the paint is rough, youll need to sand the whole thing down with 400, seal it, then paint it. Feel free to hit me up with any paint questions, I own a bodyshop. Good luck!

Thanks! Those tips are helpful.

I discovered something today that perplexes me. This truck has the galactic gray IE9 paint code. It turns out the body, the cladding and bumpers are supposedly painted with the same color. I can’t figure out why sometimes the truck looks all gray and sometimes the body looks like a midnight blue but the bumpers/cladding stay looking gray. I thought originally that there were two different paint codes. After investigating this today that is not the case.

Bumpers and cladding are plastic so there is always a variation in the color. Thats why if you pay attention, youll notice that bumpers from factory are always a few shades off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom