Renting a 60 for a photo shoot. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, I got a request to rent my truck out to a production company for a few days for a photo shoot. The company is called Spark Productions Inc.

Everything looks legit, I received the contract today, and assuming everything falls into place, they'll pick it up next week and drop it off a few days later. There would be one shot that requires the truck to be driving, otherwise all the shots are still, or on a flatbed to simulate moving.

I'm not suspicious of a scam or anything, but I am worried about what will happen if something goes awry when the truck is in their custody. I assume nothing will...but what happens when the driver's an idiot and the truck comes back with a transmission that pops out of gear, or a clutch that slips, or something like that? The contract says they'll reimburse for any damages, but when push comes to shove I wonder how much effort will be required to actually make that happen.

If anyone has done this before I'd be interested in getting your thoughts. The money I'd make would be nice, but it's not nice enough to make it worth going through hell for it, if you know what I mean.

Thanks!

Tighe

I'd like to see everything in writing. Proof of insurance covering the vehicle would be a must and I would have an inspection sheet over the whole vehicle that you print off and have them sign.

That's just my thoughts. I have never dealt with a situation like that but those would be the things I would be worried about.

OK thanks. They'll provide proof of insurance and the driver's license info, but to your point, getting some type of proof of the condition it's in would be nice to get in writing. Like the scratch and dent diagram with a rental car. I'll look into it, thanks!

Make sure to ask if they have Hired and non-owned liability coverage added on their policy. Depending on your state, if they get in an accident while using your car, it would most likely get filed under your insurance first with their policy being secondary coverage. If you really want to cover yourself, you could have them get a Surety bond for the value of the vehicle.

Take lots of pictures with a time stamp on them. Ideally you could take a couple dozen in the few minutes prior to letting them take custody.

Or a phone video as transfer is occurring.

I had a vehicle used on a video shoot.
If you can stay with the car while they use it do that.
I stayed with mine the whole time. At the end starter went bad.
Not there fault! Just happened to go out.
yes make sure they covered the car under there insurance.
And that they don't do any modifications to it..
good luck!

Interesting, should we look for a TV commercial soon, or anything of this sort? I'd be curious to see what they have in mind. Your truck gonna be famous!!

Thanks for all the great suggestions all! I'll report back on what happens. Nothing's confirmed yet, but I've basically agreed to proceed if they want to go this direction. I will keep all of the suggestions above in mind. Maybe this will be my truck's 15 minutes...

Good for you. I hope it all works out awesome. And to think I knew you before you were famous. LOL:cheers:

Proof of insurance covering the vehicle would be a must

This ^^ , then have fun. Talk to your insurance company first. Going to them with a sideswiped truck begging isn't going to go well. I like the idea of staying with the truck

My boat was used for filming several times in a TV series that had many scenes shot in Los Angeles Harbor in the marina i berthed my boat in.

The insurance was straight forward, but we had the marina's attorney already go over the requirements prior to the production company contacting the boat owners.

The boat owners would meet the production company rep and go over the boats condition and both parties photographed/videoed the boat. They compensated us for our time to meet, and for the boat rental.

My boat never left the slip or was operated. Just interior and exterior shots, or used as a camera location.

I was impressed with the care the crew showed for my boat. They covered, padded, protected whatever area they were using. They did break the tip of a fishing rod when an actor tried to cast for a scene, but paid for a new rod, instead of a repair!

I was on the dock for a couple of the days. They fed us and we had a fun day. If you can be on set, do it.

Thanks again all, the company just canceled on me, they decided to go in a different direction. Truth be told, this is the third time I’ve been contacted about renting it for a shoot. The last time i lost out to a Vanagon- the director felt it exuded SoCal life more than a 60. Not sure what happened this time but I got a email yesterday saying they went in another direction.

Really, thanks for all the great tips and suggestions, lots of great advice to keep in mind here. Hopefully someone will benefit from it in the future!

That's a bummer!
But it is so typical of production companies to go the distance like that and switch it all around.
Well, it's there loss!
Nice try anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom