Rent or Ride FZJ cross country....? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am about to take a whirlwind trip from Nashville up through the southern rockies with my dog during a down week. I have a 1996 w/ 130 on the clock, which is about to need new tires, at the end of the summer.

Should I rent a nice wagon or something else that I can sleep in or should I take my ride, which I would prefer. I am thinking that the MPG, miles that I would put on it and the fact that I want to do about 85-90 on the flats would make me lean towards a rental.....and, I am the reason that you should never buy a used rental car...... There are a lot of deals out there, nice rental, unlimited miles for 300.00....not a geo metro either.

TN -
It's a simple question of your goals and values
If the destination is all that matters, just rent something or, better yet, fly to the Rockies and rent there :D

But if the journey is the important part, take your own ride and enjoy all of the miles between you and Colorado. ;)
(But I'd put some new tires on it, first :D)

LT

Check the rental agreements carefully. While many offer unlimited miles, some limit you to travel in the state where you rent plus the states immediately adjacent.

Bob Garrett

Well, Since it's illegal to drive that fast, I can't comment first hand 8) . But, I bet mine would be nice around 80 mph or so. I don't think I'd run it for extended periods faster than that.
I also vote that if it's the journey, take the 80. If it's the destination, do something else.

You'd probably be hard pressed to find as large, comfortable and powerful a vehicle, which would have as much useable space, in a rental, and if you did the gas would probably be pretty close. You should have no problem going 85-90mph in the flats, and whats a few thousand miles, your probably not even halfway through your engines life!

Rent a H2 Hummer. Take it up in the mountians, hit the trails,do some rockclimbing with it... I think this is the reason they don't rent H2s.
Tenn, you work in the auto industry?
Take the 80 up in the mountians, hit the trails,do some rockclimbing with it...Have fun, thats what it is for.

I am trying to plan a trip out west to CO in AUG and if I have the 80 in one piece and all parts working, we will take it. I guess we will have to take it no mater what, as it is the only vehicle we have right now :D :(
kurt

Get a copy of Woody's Cruiser Ass istanct Club members, as they can help you or any LC owner on the road. The link is in the upper right hand corner.
kurt

Rent or borrow a nice harley. Nothin beats it. &nbsp:Drove my 76 ironhead to NJ from TX and back. A lot of fun. Otherwise, take the cruiser.

Rent or borrow a nice harley. Nothin beats it. &nbsp:Drove my 76 ironhead to NJ from TX and back. A lot of fun. Otherwise, take the cruiser.

Do they rent side cars, Tenn has a dog, I am sure the dog would love the side car.
kurt

I figured he could either run along beside (they like bikes right) or just drag him behind. :D (that was a joke, so no one get offended).

Could borrow one if they don't. ::) OK, so I didn't totally pay attention when I read his post. :-/ , but what's new. :D

Well, motorcycles are great....I road a BMW R1100S from Frankfurt to the South of France (yes, that is through the mts.) last summer. However, I have the pooch and she would be very upset if I left her. I plan on staying between four corners area and San Juan Mts of Southern Colo. I am going to bag some 14ers, if the weather is good.

The cruiser is the ultimate vehicle for the trip, but I just hate putting 3200k on the odometer. However, I will probably be dissapointed if I take anything else. She is great on the interstate, great in the flats and nice in the mts.

Has anyone tried to sleep in their 80? I think it might not work because of the back seat. I loved my 60s because of the ability to sleep in them,,,,,,however, they sucked on the interstate.

If you're tired enough you could sleep on the back of a galloping hedgehog. I've slept in my 80 and I'm 6ft 5. I'm not saying it was comfortable but if you have a decent matress it would be. Sleep diagonally and it's plenty long enough. How tall are you / how big is the dog?

For what it's worth, I would take my own car. I like nothing better than setting off on a long journey. Packing spares, checking everything, packing the vehicle. Cruising - that's what they're for, right? Just sit back and listen to your Dolly Parton CD :D

Jim

Nice to hear that you can fit in your ride. That might do it for me. A Walmart air mattress does wonders for the rear compartment. I am 5'8", perfect size. I will probably pull my jump seats, add a trailer hitch hauler, service the heck out of it, put a few new belts in the back and hit the road in my own ride. I have a seven month old female yellow lab who is in training to haul in ducks....wonderful animal....will never have a male dog again. What is a few thousand miles on such a vehicle?????

I guess I need to fix my actuators on my lockers.

Tenn,

Remove the third row seats and also one of the second row. The second row un-bolts easily, take it out through the cargo area. I have done this in the past and it works well. If it's just you and the dog, you could pull both second row seats. Remember to put the bolts back in the holes.

BTW some of us are dangerously close to four corners. And Moab is very close by :D

Tenncrusher,

I would agree with ELLTEE, you need to put new tires on the rig first otherwise you might risk a tire blow-up on the trip.

If I were you I would rent if I am not ready to put the new tires on it yet, also the ware and tear is not on your rig it is on the rental considering the 80 - 95 MPH that you are planning on doing (just be careful when driving fast, I am not fan of speed at all).

My $.02

Al

I was going to say pull the rear seats. You could get a roof top tent but with a young dog, that might not be a good idea.
We went 5400 mi in March 2002 in the fj60 with wife and 2 young kids. A tv/vcr saved the trip. Get a spray bottle to spray the dog down with. I took the dog to AZ in summer in a cabover semi with no air. The dog didn't like it at first but after a while she would come over and ask to get sprayed.
Duck dog :D now I have a place to go duck hunting in TN.
kurt

Just no getting frisky with the pooch late at night. &nbsp:Don't think the supreme court ruling covers that although I'm sure Cdan could tell us if it's being enforced. :eek: :D :D

Tenn

There is an old piece of advice for anyone taking a 4x4 on a long trip.

The most important items of 4x4 equipment are a pack of cards and a bottle of whisky. If your vehicle breaks down, sit down, take out the cards and start playing patience. After a while someone will come along, stand looking over your shoulder and say, "You can place the nine of diamonds on the ten of clubs". You then offer them a drink and they will fix your truck

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom