Reno/Sparks Test Drive (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey gang, looking for someone in Reno/Sparks area to check out an '85 FJ60. I'm located in southern California so swinging by is a little tricky.

Anyone interested?

I have been emailing back and forth with Conner (@Sawmill) and have the sellers contact information plus a bunch of pictures. I will see if I can get out there on Sunday this weekend to take a look at the truck. If anyone has more available time before then please feel free to go do a run for him. But I do ask that you post up here that you have done so, so I do not go out as well.

Alright I have talked with the owner and will plan on taking a look at it on Thursday afternoon. Unfortunately that is the first time we both had available with daylight. @Sawmill

How did it look? We talked about this thread yesterday, was wondering if it was better or worse than the pictures made it look.

How did it look? We talked about this thread yesterday, was wondering if it was better or worse than the pictures made it look.
Wont see it until this Thursday... Will report at the club meeting.

@Sawmill This may be a little farther for you but I think it also looks like a pretty solid FJ62 so newer and with EFI and some other upgrades from the FJ60, oh and it's cheaper. I contacted the seller and he said he'd be willing to go to $3800(which I think is a really good deal considering what people are asking for now a days), this was originally for myself but I'm trying to practice some self restraint and not go buy this thing. Anyway I just thought I would throw that out there for you or anyone else who might be interested.

Toyota FJ62 Land Cruiser

@Sawmill This may be a little farther for you but I think it also looks like a pretty solid FJ62 so newer and with EFI and some other upgrades from the FJ60, oh and it's cheaper. I contacted the seller and he said he'd be willing to go to $3800(which I think is a really good deal considering what people are asking for now a days), this was originally for myself but I'm trying to practice some self restraint and not go buy this thing. Anyway I just thought I would throw that out there for you or anyone else who might be interested.

Toyota FJ62 Land Cruiser

Thanks for passing that along. I see the benefits of the 62 but my wife is sold on the 60, the stick shift being the main reason. Heck of a deal.

Decent amount of body work will need to be done to that one, however for the price difference you could probably drop in an H55f 5spd tranny with clutch and everything...

So I went and looked at this 60 yesterday, owner was real nice and forthcoming with everything about the truck. Love the way explained all the stuff he had been working that was done by the "tweaker mechanic" PO. Unfortunately, there is a lot of work both body-wise and in the engine bay that needs to be done. I had a long conversation with Conner (@Sawmill) last night to explain what I had seen and what he was looking for and we basically came to the conclusion that this was probably too much, mechanically, for him to bite off.

The Good:
- New 4" OME suspension installed about a year ago
- New Method 17" rims with General Grabber tires (about a year old)
- New fuel pump installed within last year
- Truck gone through and properly desmogged with Man-A-Fre desmog kit
- Looked like a newer power steering pump
- Only 209k on the clock (owner did not believe that this was inaccurate for any reason)
- Says it pulled nice and strong, no overheating, no weird noises
- Frame practically rust free, small spots of surface rust but that was all I could find
- Rear quarters (Normal rust spots) seemed to be in decent condition, magnet stuck to them so not a lot of mud on them
- Partial knuckle rebuild done with apparently new birfields that are supposedly stronger (said he had one side completed and needed to do other side)
- Does have small LED Baja lights attached to front

Oooohhh The Bad:
- Lots of body work needed, potentially replace front passenger fender and other parts
- Diamond plated rear fenders are odd and riveted to the body. Drivers side has large gap where it is open to the cabin (I was able to stick my entire hand up into the cab)
- Interior is a mess, all upholstery needs to be cleaned out to get better idea
- Center console thing is HUGE. (see next item)
- Parking brake disconnected and removed in the cabin (line tied under vehicle) to accomodate center console
- Shifter is from god knows what and ugly as sin
- All stuff is there for engine bay but desmog needs to be completed, new vacuum lines needed, etc. probably most time consumptive thing is going through all of it to ensure everything is hooked up properly
- Current carb is cheapo chicom aftermarket from amazon (guy admitted he purchased cheapest one he could find). Looks like it is more for an FJ40 than a 60 (missing vacuum ports) but still has OEM. Apparently OEM had things done to it by PO tweaker mechanic that are unspeakable atrocities to a 60 carb. So new carb (city racer is what I would recommend) is desparately needed.
- No fan shroud, guy said it never had one since he bought it

Ultimately this will be a "project" truck for someone to get everything back to running order and what they consider reliable. Body is another issue but that does not really affect the drive-ability of the 60.
Just my 2cents

Greg gave me some great info about the vehicle and provided some much appreciated honesty. I'm truly thankful for the help on this even if it's not going to work out.

The search continues...

Greg gave me some great info about the vehicle and provided some much appreciated honesty. I'm truly thankful for the help on this even if it's not going to work out.

The search continues...
Good luck with the one you guys are test driving this weekend! Hopefully that will give you and the wife a good indicator as to whether or not this will meet your needs. While very capable trucks, and loads of fun, the lack of creature comforts and some refinement found in most newer vehicles is a hard adjustment for some people.

We already talked. Hopefully he can find one in his budget range. Sounds like this one needed a lot.

We already talked. Hopefully he can find one in his budget range. Sounds like this one needed a lot.
Lot of TLC, money.... maybe, maybe not was hard to tell. Lots of TLC for sure.

The problem with cruisers is parts availability. Working on them is easy but they are in a unique spot. Lots of demand and very little aftermarket support that is worth owning. Reminds me of early broncos in the 90's. You almost need a parts rig for the price of the small things that break. The rust problem is also ridiculous. They are a labor of love but sometimes it's a big job to do the smallest thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom