SOLD Reno, NV: 1997 FZJ80 Edit: sold (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 80 Series
Mileage
Color
rgb(4, 37, 8)
SOLD
1997 FZJ80
Dark Emerald Pearl
Almost 208k on the odo
Clean NV title in my name
Has been in AZ and NV most of its life
CDL only
$7000

I bought this about a year ago on an impulse and then pretty quick the head gasket popped on me. It had some pitting on #6 cyl wall so I rebuilt a donor engine and swapped it. Ive driven it around some since but mostly it sits and I keep driving my 3rd gen runner. Ive been trying to justify owning 2 80s, a 4runner, and a super duty for just myself but I‘ve decided I should let this one go.

The good:

-Freshened up engine with a lot of new Toyota parts, ground head, valves/seats ground, valves adjusted — all done by a very trusted machine shop who is a big Toyota fan — new Toyota head gasket, new NPR piston rings, block torn all the way down — honed, cleaned — pistons cleaned, everything cleaned, inspected, measured. I did not change main or rod bearings but they were good to go. Everything torqued. New Toyota gaskets and seals on everything. Exhaust manifolds sand blasted and painted. Oil pans hot tanked. Engine has about 3k miles on it.
-No leaks
-New blue hub fan clutch with 15k cst fluid.
-New TYC radiator and new cap.
-New toyota fan belts.
-New AC belt.
-New NGK plugs.
-New hood struts.
-New door lock motors in front doors and rear hatch.
-New heater hoses
-New PHH with a breeze clamp.
-New CDL indicator switch.
-New Timken front wheel bearing on one side, other wheel bearings inspected packed and adjusted - new grease seals of course. No birf soup, birfs packed. Knuckle ball wipers are good. Diff oils checked. Spindles in great shape
-Brakes in good shape
-Kenwood head unit
-All windows including sunroof work
-No rust
-Have lots of receipts
-CDL works with lo/hi shifter
-Has no codes — egr/cats in tact and functioning
-AC and Heater work great
-Fresh coolant shut off valve
-Running boards
-Clean factory alloys
-New fuel filter
-Timing bumped to almost 8*
-Runs, drives, shifts great — set the CC and go.

The bad:

-Green paint so lots of oxidation/clear coat problems and was an AZ rig so sun baked
-Sun baked interior
-A few small cracks in dash
-A couple cracks in windshield but entirely out of view of the driver
-Belt moulding is not in good shape
-Flare rubber trim is gone
-Several door dings, small dents, and other cosmetic etc...
-Bumpers have been bumped here and there
-Drivers seat has typical cracking/hole
-Both seats need replacement power seat gears but the rest of the power seat functions work
-Antenna does not power up or down
-Tires have tread left but pretty low
-Both rear side door door lock motors do not work
-Diverter valve for rear washer squirter leaked so it was bypassed — fronts work and all wipers work

So in summary - very mechanically sound with some cosmetic flaws —not bad, not great, and a pretty baselined rig so you know what you’re getting.

D6C0F198-7D17-44CA-AD59-B48B4D814C96.jpeg
BD8D0DB0-A086-4D28-8265-C0F76F561DBB.jpeg
71095D59-35F9-481F-9246-DCE777630B4C.jpeg
C94B826D-3CAF-42C4-B91E-8CC30D0C4257.jpeg
957979B8-5ECF-43EB-B022-5EF11C9A0980.jpeg

Last edited:
I think that's a real good deal. All the engine work has been done, and I've been looking at the headgasket on mine. It's expensive and a huge pain. He's done everything to make this a reliable truck. Just need to buy some new leather seat covers, much easier than rebuilding an engine with blown head gasket.

I think that's a real good deal. All the engine work has been done, and I've been looking at the headgasket on mine. It's expensive and a huge pain. He's done everything to make this a reliable truck. Just need to buy some new leather seat covers, much easier than rebuilding an engine with blown head gasket.
Thanks man, I appreciate that!

When I was buying my FJ80, there were a lot of junkers which were poorly maintained. You have to remember most people don't work on cars, and at most take it to the mechanic to get the essentials done to make it run. This doesn't mean they're well maintained.

This one needs some interior work, but with the head gasket and rings done, you can take it where ever you want and don't have to worry about the head popping on you.

Lockers: It's nice to find an FJ80 with lockers, but the thing is, those are either really expensive if in good condition, or they're ragged out. Lockers can be added and will add to the value of the vehicle. The price of this one reflects that it doesn't have lockers. It would go for over 10k if it had lockers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom