Reno is officially out of Pig carcasses! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My initial obsession was with CJs. Built a few, broke a few. Then after I realized they were no longer interesting (marketed to and massively, annoyingly bought by millennials with "angry eye" headlights and other poser crap). Then I saw a neighbors 60 parked and decided it looked more...manly I guess. Then I tried to remember what that really funky one was called...FJ55! Now I'm testing my wife's patience by buying whatever I can find/afford. I'm also pretty obsessed with 67-72 C10s, but that's another story. :cool:

The jeeps do not really invade. Not really a horde either. More of an infestation. Like rats. Or lice. Mainly they clog up the streets and get all slushy under the tires and hooves when the true Horde assembles and sets out over the roads. But generally the first river crossing washes all the stink and offal off. ;)

FK... ;)
Here in Reno we have heeps of newer Jeep’s set up for “overlanding”. Don’t see many of these on the trail and we don’t have Alaskan style water crossings to stop them. In fairness to new Jeep owners also great number of new Tacoma’s with RTT, sand ladders, Winch, and Rotopax and don’t really see them either. They might all be waiting for Burning Man to resume so they can make the 5 mile drive onto the perfectly flat Blackrock playa or to haul their side-by-side to trailhead.

My initial obsession was with CJs. Built a few, broke a few. Then after I realized they were no longer interesting (marketed to and massively, annoyingly bought by millennials with "angry eye" headlights and other poser crap). Then I saw a neighbors 60 parked and decided it looked more...manly I guess. Then I tried to remember what that really funky one was called...FJ55! Now I'm testing my wife's patience by buying whatever I can find/afford. I'm also pretty obsessed with 67-72 C10s, but that's another story. :cool:
@Hobbs81 i’ve seriously been contemplating adding Angry Eye LED headlights to my pig. Was counting on you for technical assist😁

An awful lot of the rigs up here are not much different. In defense of jeeps, if you are a 21 year old GI living on base with no experience (in anything?) but good credit and a desire to own a cool (if cookie cutter) rig... you can go to the jeep dealer and buy it already done for you and finance every penny. Take it out, break it, get it stuck and start learning. ;) Buying and then building a Cruiser or mini truck results in a far better rig if done right. But you have to know what "right " is. And you have to have the skill and money to do it.

Most of the rigs up here are never used beyond day trips and weekend runs. Just like anywhere else. Most of the population in Alaska is in Anchorage and the Mat-Su Valley. Our version of Urban-Suburban. There are of course other towns and small cities that would not be considered "bush", but the real bush areas of Alaska have little use for 4x4s of any kind. And the vast majority of Alaska will never be accessible to wheeled vehicles in this class either.

All of that said, the areas of Alaska that we CAN access with knowledge and the right rigs if you know what you are about.... is pretty large by lower '48 standards and pretty remote/unspoiled.

Mark...

The convertible had a few treasures hidden under the leaves and scrap. Power steering box and reservoir, stock AM radio (I think), jack and handle. Does that look like a stock jack. I'm not looking to sell those right now, but if anybody needs stuff from the last pic let me know. Brake drums and birfield parts... :)

View attachment 2676297

View attachment 2676298

View attachment 2676299

View attachment 2676300
Good morning. came across the post and saw the power steering pump. I'm starting a conversion to PS on my 72 FJ55. Are you interested in selling the pump? Also, I'm pouring through threads looking for the best option (FJ60, Saginaw, minitruck, etc.) but if you have any additional guidance much appreciated. Thanks! B.

I had the Astrovan box before and went to the '77-'78 Bronco box. It is bigger than the FJ60 and Scout box. It was only $300 on Rockauto with no core charge. I just finally got to drive the pig and my turning radius could be better than a Honda Civic. I couldn't believe I could do circles in a cul-de-sac with no problem.

Sorry, 78 and 79. the first 2 years of the big body. In 80 the steering changed and doesnt work.

Yep. The Great land. I counted again today for the first time in a while. Only 9 pigs left there. Two LVs rusting away. Four '40s (two for restoration and a couple parts hulks) and thirteen parts '80s. A couple of other oddballs... A Mini truck and some 6x hulks.

If scrap prices ever go back up, a lot of it will go.

Mark.
Got any LV parts you'd be willing to scavange? I don't need much, but there are a few things...

Got any LV parts you'd be willing to scavange? I don't need much, but there are a few things...

I actually had someone contact me recently because of an LV a customer is selling and we will be working toward getting both of my hulks out of the yard and shipped south.

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom