Removing vacuum transfer case actuator (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.smokyqd.com
Greetings, I have a '71 Fj40 with stock drivetrain. I've been noticing a larger and larger oil leak from under my transfer case. I found the leak coming from the joint where the vacuum actuator bolts to the transfer case and also leaking from a missing bolt hole (see pic below). There are 4 bolts holding the actuator to the transfer case and one of them is missing(see attached pic). I thought 'no problem' and tried installing a new bolt. But it looks like the bolt broke off flush at the transfer case! So now I have to remove the actuator, drill out the bolt, rethread and reinstall. My question is....Is this as simple as removing the remaining three bolts and sliding the vacuum assembly out? Or is there more disassembly that needs to be done? Thanks for any assistance.

vacumm (2).jpg

Well, it is as easy as removing the other three bolts and pulling the actuator out. What may be less easy is getting a drill in there to drill hole for an EZ-out.

I'm sure I am going to take some flack for this method, but I've done it and it works. You can remove the nose cone and do everything on the workbench. Of course this means removing the front driveline and the Hi-Lo bell crank (if equipped) and unbolting the nose cone. The tapered race for the front main shaft bearing is pressed into the back of the nosecone and the tapered roller bearing is pressed onto the main shaft. The bearing preload is set with shims behind the speedo housing, so this method should have little to no effect on the EXISTING preload.

Thanks! I wasn't sure if there was any type of linkage internal under/between the 4 bolts and the transfer case. Yea I know even with a right angle drill and new bits it won't be easy drilling out the broken bolt. But I think with enough patience and swearing it can be done. Worse case is I have to yank the transfer case out. Thanks again!

Getting the actuator out is easy. Going back in you just need to be sure the fork goes onto the clutch correctly. No biggie.

Let me know if you need any parts or pieces or advice, happy to help.

Georg

The actuator slide right out of the casing with no trouble. But I was unable to remove the broken bolt. It will have to stay broke until I rebuild the tranny in a couple of years (bad syncro's on 2nd and 3rd are requiring me to double clutch when I shift). I've owned this FJ40 for 23 years and it was broke off by a previous owner. When I removed the actuator I found the gasket had crumbled to nothing. I made a new gasket and installed with a skim coat of RTV, tightened the remaining 3 bolts to spec and refilled with 80/90 gear lube. After a full day of driving no leaks! The vacuum system has never given me any trouble so I'm going to leave it for now. If/when it acts up I'll take a look at converting to manual. Thanks everyone for the advice.

One of the best mods I ever did to my vacuum actuator was to remove it and replace with a later floor shifter.
The actuator slide right out of the casing with no trouble. But I was unable to remove the broken bolt. It will have to stay broke until I rebuild the tranny in a couple of years (bad syncro's on 2nd and 3rd are requiring me to double clutch when I shift). I've owned this FJ40 for 23 years and it was broke off by a previous owner. When I removed the actuator I found the gasket had crumbled to nothing. I made a new gasket and installed with a skim coat of RTV, tightened the remaining 3 bolts to spec and refilled with 80/90 gear lube. After a full day of driving no leaks! The vacuum system has never given me any trouble so I'm going to leave it for now. If/when it acts up I'll take a look at converting to manual. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Personally like the vacuum shifter. While the three speed floor shift is very positive shifting it also prone to vibration. The 4/75+ four speed transfer case shifter is a simpler setup with fewer parts but it too can vibrate. Never had a issue with vacuum shifter in my 68. Just went to a floor shift when installed a four speed. Currently have a 70 FJ40 with the column shift transmission and vacuum shift transfer case. I wish the vacuum shift in my FJ62 was as positive as the one in the FJ40s.

I can understand not changing things up if they work, but I liked having the ability to mod the floor shifter so I could have a single stick shifter to add 2wd low by opening up the shifter bracket to a square opening.

There is a pin on the high lower lever on the vacuum shift style. It pulls the vacuum knob when lever moves to low range. Remove that pin and 2WD low is possible. That pin is held on my a nut. Easy to remove.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom