Removing Upper Oil Pan - 1FZFE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im attempting to reseal my timing chain cover and wanted to make sure I was doing things the right way so I don't break or remove additional bolts.
Currently I'm trying to remove the upper oil pan so I can remove the timing cover and I want to make sure I remove the right bolts. Front Swaybar is out to make the job a little easier👍.

Can anyone shed some insight as to how many bolts are there, if I need to remove only the bolts on the perimeter or are there some on the bell housing towards the rear?
IMG_1974.jpg
IMG_1975.jpeg
IMG_1976.jpeg

Lastly, there's the oil level sensor should I unplug the harness or remove the 4 bolts?
IMG_1973.jpg

Thanks! 😃

Not sure if your plan is to remove the timing chain cover and then reseal. If so then be aware that to do the job correctly you need to remove the cylinder head.

Im attempting to reseal my timing chain cover and wanted to make sure I was doing things the right way so I don't break or remove additional bolts.
Currently I'm trying to remove the upper oil pan so I can remove the timing cover and I want to make sure I remove the right bolts. Front Swaybar is out to make the job a little easier👍.

Can anyone shed some insight as to how many bolts are there, if I need to remove only the bolts on the perimeter or are there some on the bell housing towards the rear?
6 bolts total, each side 3.

Did you remove the bolts that were above the lower oil pan once
it was removed?

Not sure if your plan is to remove the timing chain cover and then reseal. If so then be aware that to do the job correctly you need to remove the cylinder head.
I really would like to do it the right way, and get all those while you're in there things done like the head and the block, but I'm willing to take a risk and attempt what @cruiserdan did to his. Na$ty a$$ oil leak - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/na-ty-a-oil-leak.8239/ . This will just have to last me another 50k-80k miles and by then I'll be done with school and have $ to do everything the right way. Let's hope this pays off!

Did you remove the bolts that were above the lower oil pan once
it was removed?
You mean the ones that hold the A/C bracket on or the knock sensor wire? The bolts that are "inside" the oil pan in picture 2 & 3?

Last edited:
Download the factory service manual. It is clearly listed. Can’t get more right than that. I recall it being very clear when I did my engine rebuild.

To answer your question. Yes you need to remove the lower bell housing bolts also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom