Removing Unwanted Frame Weldments (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drake2

SILVER Star
Threads
I am getting this 67 FJ40 frame ready for proper V8 mounts, new shock towers, and a Saginaw box setup but all the PO weldments had to come off first. What I found to work the best without digging into the OEM frame steel is documented in the pics below.

Using a 4" x 0.045 cutoff disc and angle grinder I scored the welds on the sides, almost down to the frame steel stopping just short as not to dig into it. On the top weld I scored it all the way across, again stopping short of the frame steel.

1623082196323.JPEG

1623082193997.JPEG

1623082195304.JPEG

Once the scores were done I used a small chisel and 5lb hammer on a top corner to start the fracture and then moved to the middle of the top face.

1623082193048.JPEG

1623082189200.JPEG

Once there was enough room for a larger chisel ......

1623082191225.JPEG

1623082185308.JPEG

Now just a little grinding of the remaining PO welds and then smoothing with some flap disc action and move on to the next one.

1623082184686.JPEG

awesome. Original frame metal looks like it is in fantastic shape

This is pretty much I did - my life was made way easier by the fact that the previous owner’s welds were so bad the mounts popped off prying with a flathead screwdriver after a light score with a grinder. Hard to believe they were holding the engine in…

awesome. Original frame metal looks like it is in fantastic shape
Yes, it is in great shape. I am thinking that after sandblasting and powder coating it could look smooth like OEM new.

going to do anything with those SAE fasteners attaching the front body mount to the frame?
Yes, they will be replaced with proper metric fasteners.

Thanks for posting this. I just pulled my frame out to do this same thing. Its always good to see someone else doing the same thing and learn form their experience. Hopefully it goes as smooth as yours...
Very happy you found it useful because that's exactly why I posted it. I'm always looking for ways to contribute to the group.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom