Removing Transfer Case from Transmission 3 Speed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got this far and the transfer case will not separate from the transmission. What am I missing? I haven't gotten too aggressive as I don't want to break anything.

Transfer Case 1.jpg

Transfer Case 2.jpg

Transfer Case 3.jpg

Should slide off at this point. That upper gear in the first pic that can be seen in the side access hole (ie I believe the transition gear, that comes off the Tranny spline, can get hung up and bind when pulling apart). Use one of your hands in the access hole to keep that relatively straight while your slide the TC off. Might need to push the Tranny and TC back together and then use your hand to keep the gear straight as you separate again.

Bearings are pressed onto the transmission output shaft. They have to come off for the shaft to slide out and the cases to seperate

The input gear in the t-case is binding on the splines. Sometimes you need to fashion a puller, usually you can do the ole 2 pry bar method and work it right off. I have been able to use that 1/4 inch or so of initial movement to kind of use the whole t-case as a hammer to move that input gear back and off. The input gear may feel loose where it sits on the splines but as it moves back they usually hang up, just need a bit of encouragement.

Ok. Good deal. I will get back in the garage after dinner and see if I can use the old 2 pry bar method. If that doesn't work I'll have to go to the auto store to rent a puller of some sort. I will let ya'll know how it goes. Thanks again.

Well, the 2 pry bar method worked like a charm. And just like you said, the gear fell right out! Luckily it was only a few inches off the floor. I appreciate the help A10driver, Stoshzack and peesalot!

20200622_213637.jpg

I shoulda warned you about that gear falling. For reinstalling it, try sliding just the input gear on the output shaft and see if it is the ,same at different positions. Most times it will not slide at all on some positions and goes easy at others. I like to take a 3m pad to the splines on both, then test fit the input gear, when you find the one it slides on nicely put a mark on the gear at 9 o'clock, dont turn output shaft after marked. This way when you are fiddling with input on reinstall you will know where to line up, makes it easy, also test fit the rear bearing on the output shaft, dress, sand until it slides on, then do the same for the OD of bearing and the hole in t-case, makes life easy, keep the fit between OD of bearing and case a bit snug, you will have to drive bearing in but its a bear if you dont test fit and dress it before hand

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom