Removing the wood dash trim. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1/2 :banana: job

Get a heat gun or hair dryer and some 3m adhesive remover. Heat up the wood and stick a spatula type object under it. Most of the adhesive will come off, but you may have to use some of the remover.

Good Luck

Almost forgot....

:flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: newbie

Thanks Richard Cranium, :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

That's the route i was going to go, but was concerned about damage to the underlying plastic.
:D

[quote author=rshinn66 link=board=2;threadid=9345;start=msg81479#msg81479 date=1072712397]
Thanks Richard Cranium, :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

[/quote]

Hey look everybody! The newbie is trying to be clever!

:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Hey, welcome!!

BTW-What are you going to do with the wood dash?? I'll takeit off your hands!! ;)

[glow=red,2,300]hey RSHINN66..[/glow]
Definitely use the heat to loosen up the glue.

BUT, [glow=red,2,300]DO NOT [/glow] use heavy cleaner to take off the residue once you remove the sticky stuff. I took off mine off last year and use my girl's nail polish remover to get the remaining sticky glue off...it ruined the black plastic! :whoops: The nail polish remover turned the black plastic gray and almost dissolved it.

So, BE CAREFUL on what type of cleaner you use to get the remaining sticky stuff off.

Otherwise, you will have to have C-Dan price out the wood trim pieces that you spent time taking off...just to cover up your F-up! :D

Good luck [glow=red,2,300]ROOKIE[/glow] :D

later.

Still in my 62, moving up to an FZJ-80 in Feb. just planning ahead. :D :D :D

Bob

Joe that stuff is acetone. That's some harsh stuff, not as bad as MEK or TriKE (sp) but pretty tough. Anybody try that Goo Gone stuff on the plastic grain? I'm getting tired of all the lamination spots, infact it's almost 50/50 now.

NEWB :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Blast it off with some dynamite.

Use a flat tip screw driver and chisel it off.

Use your momma's one tooth and have her nibble it off. :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :D :D :D

Use one of the citrus based products. The one I like specifically is called De-Solv-it. It is amazing product that will not harm anything the way petroleum based products do. It out performs Goo Gone ten times over. It works on adhesives, crayon, gum, nail polish, grease, oil and tar. It smells good too. Sometimes it is hard to find but Walmart carries it in the grocery department as well as home repair/paint department. You can get more information on www.orange-sol.com or 1-800-877-7771.

I usually think about my grandma on the toilet to remove wood.

Hey Junk,

Your boyfriend said you had a tool about the size & shape of a screwdriver. You want come take a stab @ my dash? :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :D :D

Dan,

Granny on the hopper did it
thanks

Your sis likes that tool, but I know she has a tough time sitting after using it. :flipoff2:

Use and air chisel and take the crap off. Then start with the flares next...

Yeah newbie here. Though I would update this thread with some new info. I recently picked up a 40th Anniversary 80 and the first upgrade was removing the hideous woodgrain. I tried the direct heat and putty knife which worked well but not as well as the final solution. Crank the heat on high with re-circulated air for about 20mins. Junk pealed off with my fingers quite nicely after that.

glad to be here. This is about all I have to offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom