Removing the Turbo from the 12H-T engine: Any sense at all? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, a newbie here!

Been reading lots of Advantages-vs-Disadvantages-of-Turbos articles here and there. I must confess, to my surprise, the list disadvantages is usually a longer. However, the disadvantages seem to apply more often – but not always – to “Turbocharging engines that were initially built as “naturally aspired” ones. Example turbocharging a 2H engine, though as the put it, some people get along with it”.

So, my question:

What about the other way around? That is, except for the loss of horsepower/ torque (and maybe fuel economy), is there any ADVANTAGES and/or DISADVANTAGES in “removing a turbo” from an engine that came with a factory one, such as the 12H-T, specifically?

If the engine was built and designed to have a turbo and you remove the turbo then it’s going to be a slug of an engine. You would likely have a very robust engine that would last a million miles…but it would be slow, less efficient, less useful. Pretty much a waste of space. I know when my sprinter engine goes into LHM I can barely get up a hill or past 50mph on a straight stretch of road.

such as the 12H-T, specifically?
I think you’d ruin a perfectly good engine. So long as you perform oil changes, clean the crank to
inlet breather tube regularly, and filters it would be nonsense to remove the turbo. The only thing you
are saving is the time to clean a breather tube?! My opinion.
Do you think your turbo is failing? Do you think you will have trouble repairing / replacing it?

Why?

The 12HT as designed is just awesome. It is reliable and strong…even at 30 years of age.

Almost any reputable diesel shop can rebuild a turbo- though a good shop just rebuilt mine and it crapped out at 3,000mi after rebuild. So I’m having another shop rebuild it, and I’ll slap it back on. Removing the turbo has never crossed my mind.

I think you’d ruin a perfectly good engine. So long as you perform oil changes, clean the crank to
inlet breather tube regularly, and filters it would be nonsense to remove the turbo. The only thing you
are saving is the time to clean a breather tube?! My opinion.
Do you think your turbo is failing? Do you think you will have trouble repairing / replacing it?
Thanks, Cruiserpilot for the light!
I bought it from the previous owner without the turbo. And I haven't been considering turbocharging it back, hence my research here and there.
I am already impressed with its power while deprived of its turbo.
Since laying hands on a good factory CT26 turbocharger is near to impossible, I have been considering an aftermarket one, especially this: Wink 4x4 - Turbochargers - http://www.wink4x4.com/turbo/. They seem like a serious alternative. Ever heard of them?

Why?

The 12HT as designed is just awesome. It is reliable and strong…even at 30 years of age.

Almost any reputable diesel shop can rebuild a turbo- though a good shop just rebuilt mine and it crapped out at 3,000mi after rebuild. So I’m having another shop rebuild it, and I’ll slap it back on. Removing the turbo has never crossed my mind.
The previous owner removed it. I don't know why but he might found it easier to service it, I'm only guessing.

The 12H-T is strong, no doubt! My recent and short experience is that thing, without its turbo, still shows some astounding power. I have started to get a glimpse of how powerful it can be with its turbo back, especially if I definitely get to intercool it.

If the engine was built and designed to have a turbo and you remove the turbo then it’s going to be a slug of an engine. You would likely have a very robust engine that would last a million miles…but it would be slow, less efficient, less useful. Pretty much a waste of space. I know when my sprinter engine goes into LHM I can barely get up a hill or past 50mph on a straight stretch of road.
Thanks for sharing your views. Highly appreciated

Hello all, a newbie here!

Been reading lots of Advantages-vs-Disadvantages-of-Turbos articles here and there. I must confess, to my surprise, the list disadvantages is usually a longer. However, the disadvantages seem to apply more often – but not always – to “Turbocharging engines that were initially built as “naturally aspired” ones. Example turbocharging a 2H engine, though as the put it, some people get along with it”.

So, my question:

What about the other way around? That is, except for the loss of horsepower/ torque (and maybe fuel economy), is there any ADVANTAGES and/or DISADVANTAGES in “removing a turbo” from an engine that came with a factory one, such as the 12H-T, specifically?

Nearly all the idi toyota's take really well to turbo charging. They love the extra air. Lean is good in a diesel and most naturally aspirated engines run rich from the factory. If anything they run cooler and cleaner with the turbo. I think the bad rap comes when people turn the fuel up. Turn a screw 1/4 turn and have 50% more power to too tempting.

ive heard good things about wink though i have never used one. i just upgraded my ct26 to a G turbo on my 1hdt and love the difference. it is a bit of a rabbit hole though. if you go with a performance turbo and intercooler does help keep temps down and increase power a bit. you really should put an exhaust gas temp prob in the manifold before the turbo to watch your temps. heat will kill your engine

ive heard good things about wink though i have never used one. i just upgraded my ct26 to a G turbo on my 1hdt and love the difference. it is a bit of a rabbit hole though. if you go with a performance turbo and intercooler does help keep temps down and increase power a bit. you really should put an exhaust gas temp prob in the manifold before the turbo to watch your temps. heat will kill your engine
Thanks a lot! I'm learning a lot here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom