Removing the Head From a Drill Mill

FJ60Seth

SILVER Star
I’m moving a Jet JMD-18 from a crowded residential garage. There’s no room for a forklift or an engine hoist, it will have to moved off the base with humans. It weighs 660 lbs. My question is, can I remove the head? I know it’s shipped with head and table installed. I’ve not seen any discussion online about this so I’m doubtful it’s done, but I hoping it is. Thanks.

Last edited:

e9999

You want to do what...?

sure looks like the head is a separate piece on a column, so one would think it can be removed.
On a side note, if the floor is hard, it's not very difficult to move heavy pieces of equipment with very little necessary hardware. I moved a several thousand pounds safe clear across a garage with a few steel rods and a pry bar a while back.

FJ60Seth

SILVER Star
That’s what I thought, but it seemed odd that I couldn’t find any threads, in all internet land, where someone said they did this. Once it’s on the ground I’m good to go.

Looks like a copy of my Harbor Freight rig. It's a glorified drill press. Never done it but the head should slide right off the top of the column. The column is bolted to the base I believe if it has to come off. Yeah it was a heavy SOB to get on my bench. Used my tractor front end loader.

Top Bottom