Removing the EGR system (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, here in Arkansas we don't have smog checks (heck, when Clinton was our governor he did away with vehicle inspections all together) and I've already disabled my ERG by looping the vacuum tubes. I've also done the resistor mod and have been code free for over 5 yrs. Other than creating some space and cleaning up the engine compartment is there a benefit of removing the EGR system? The OCD side of me really wants to do this.

On another totally unrelated note, those keychains that @NLXTACY Is selling are pretty cool.

What sayeth the masses?

Removing something that looks like this is good enough reason for me. I don't want that goo anywhere near my engine! Plus it's really easy on the 3FE.

EGR1.jpg

Like you I am OCD, and wanted more room for activities. A little more involved on 1fz-fe but overall glad I removed the piping/crap on the intake/block. I custom made my block off plates using a sawzall and grinder. Might get a keychain to pay homage to the work I did

Btw, I've got a 97. Is there a thread that goes thru the steps of removing the EGR on a 97?

(Yes, I'm trying to get around searching for myself...what can I say, I can be lazy.)

Any pictures post installation?
Like you I am OCD, and wanted more room for activities. A little more involved on 1fz-fe but overall glad I removed the piping/crap on the intake/block. I custom made my block off plates using a sawzall and grinder. Might get a keychain to pay homage to the work I did

Somewhere in my build/overdue pm thread. It's NOT really a how too, more of a here is kinda how I made it work. Pictures of the after are hard just due to where the plate mounts to the block. Unfortunately did not take pics of the resistor mod but it's been fairly well documented. It can be done fairly easily with assorted tools and if you don't have ability to make plates I hear someone has keychains.

My overdue PM journey. Picture heavy.

IMG_0356.JPG
IMG_0355.JPG
IMG_0353.JPG
IMG_0354.JPG
IMG_0357.JPG

Any thoughts since it's been done? Performance issues? Pros/Cons?

Somewhere in my build/overdue pm thread. It's NOT really a how too, more of a here is kinda how I made it work. Pictures of the after are hard just due to where the plate mounts to the block. Unfortunately did not take pics of the resistor mod but it's been fairly well documented. It can be done fairly easily with assorted tools and if you don't have ability to make plates I hear someone has keychains.

My overdue PM journey. Picture heavy.

Any thoughts since it's been done? Performance issues? Pros/Cons?
An unrelated hard start lately. Most gains are likely seat of the pants and due to also changing out the fuel injectors, filters, and tune up. Runs like a top though.

those pictures are dead on. It is really hard to do the plate on the head with it in the truck. i did mine when i redid the HG. I dont think i had any gains but i would do it again in a second.

It was a challenge, but I wouldn't say really hard. Long handled tools made it a little easier, as well as having the entire hood off the truck.

I read this board all the time but post less nowadays. I see everyone seems to want to delete the egr because of the pesky cel light.
Personally I feel the engine will run much better with the egr operating correctly. Especially on the pre obd2. You cannot change what the programming is on the ecu. The ecu sets all the initial timing and duration of the fuel injectors. .. along with advancing the spark etc and the egr is factored into that also. Obd1 doesn't use long term trim to help adjust the fuel. So on obd1 the ecu works on adjusting the fuel every time you start the car and drive. The obd2 uses long term adjustment so it doesn't effect performance as much. Fuel mileage will be better also. Just my 2 cents,,,

Homie of mine, 93 obd1 deleted for 10 years 80-100k miles not one problem.. 80 felt more responsive and stronger from the moment it was deleted. my .02 cents ...cats/pair/egr deleted

I am not sure if deleting the egr had any part in the performance gains I experienced, I just know that I like everything the way it is right now.

Hey grizz, i have a 94 fj80 and have leaking aux heater lines so i am capping them off this weekend
Looks like i will have to pull part or all the egr to get to one of thr hoses. Looks like you pulled the top of the intake plenum to get to the egr to remove the head tube correct??

SOrry for the late reply Rob. If I recall, It would be pretty hard to get the bolts out to pull the EGR tube that bolts to the back of the block with the upper intake plenum in place. I however do not think that capping the rear heater lines requires removing the EGR. It is just a tight place to work on the firewall.

Any thoughts on making a thinner block off plate (sheet metal with a gasket on either side) for egr at the manifold??? I bought the 'EGR Test Plug kit' from HuddExpo for my '94 and was thinking of doing this instead of removing everything. Results should be the same as removal???

Sorry - should have been clearer - my intended install - EGR>gasket>thin block off plate>gasket and keep all the egr components in place with the "EGR Test Plug kit" also installed.

I get a CEL with code 71 after about a 50 mile drive. I have no emissions to worry about.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom