Removing the Cat and Desmoggin on a 62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I live in an area with no smog check and am curious about removing my 88 FJ62's cat. I've been reading about the Desmog but most of the posts are focused on the 60. Basically, is removing the cat, and only the cat, a bad idea? And do you get any mileage or performance benefits?

Unless it is clogged, it isn't hurting your performance at all.

And since it is helping to clean the air we all breathe, why would you remove it?

Many trucks have been ruined by thoughtless desmogs, so unless you really understand how the systems work, don't mess with it.

The earlier 2Fs with their vacuum line salad can be simplified with a desmog, but they really don't get any more powerful or run any better (assuming the smog gear was functioning normally)

You can remove the cats from a 62 without it messing up anything upstream... don't expect any new-found power or anything.

Mine came without cats when I bought it 6 years ago, people have mentioned it has a different sound to it than a smogged 62.

I have no interest in doing anything to make the vehicle more poluting, my only thought was that if it increased the gas mileage maybe it would be worth the trade off.

I take it this is not the case.

It will reduce the heat under your floorboards (if removed), but that is about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom