Removing speedo cable -- is this it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi:

Total noob here. Biggest fix I've ever done on a car is spark plugs + wires. I've got a squeaky speedo, and search function indicates that I can pull it out through the transfer case and then lube it, and thread it back into the sheath. I just want to make sure I've located the right thing here -- is this circled bit what I need to unscrew in order to get to the speedo cable?

If not, could someone point me in the right direction?

IMG_5774.jpg

What year, model are you working on?

What is actually happening; speedo needle jumping, noisy?

That is the correct spot to remove the cable from the cable housing.

Removing, cleaning, and lubricating might help.

That part is no longer available for your 91.

Another option is to remove the cable and cable housing from the truck. The hardest part would be opening the dash and removing the cable housing from the back of the instrument cluster.

If you did remove the cable housing than you could spray carb cleaner or something through the housing and attempt to remove all the old grease and dirt from inside the cable housing.

Than clean the cable and lubricate it. This would work better than just removing the cable from the bottom of the truck.

That is the correct spot to remove the cable from the cable housing.

Removing, cleaning, and lubricating might help.

That part is no longer available for your 91.

Another option is to remove the cable and cable housing from the truck. The hardest part would be opening the dash and removing the cable housing from the back of the instrument cluster.

If you did remove the cable housing than you could spray carb cleaner or something through the housing and attempt to remove all the old grease and dirt from inside the cable housing.

Than clean the cable and lubricate it. This would work better than just removing the cable from the bottom of the truck.

Ty! I'll see if this quick fix helps and if not, I will rip it all apart. It seems tedious but not necessarily difficult (?) from the videos ive seen

Ty! I'll see if this quick fix helps and if not, I will rip it all apart. It seems tedious but not necessarily difficult (?) from the videos ive seen

It should be pretty straightforward. The problem is all the old grease and dirt that gets built up inside the cable housing.

On my 91 I removed, cleaned, lubricated, and re-installed the cable. It did nothing to help.

Than I removed the entire cable housing and cleaned it with 3 or 4 cans of brake clean. Than I lubricated the cable and housing. This did fix my speedo issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom