Removing spare tire carrier pin/bolt from hinge. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GeoW5

SILVER Star
Threads
Yep. Mine is stuck. Soaked it w pb blaster still stuck. Stubborn me thought I could drive it out. I deformed the bolt. If it comes free I will be forced to cut the bolt shorter and use a NyLock nut. Any ideas? Any possibility of getting a replacement hinge assembly?
image.jpg
image.jpg

FYI before hitting any thread bolt use a couple of nuts tightened against each. The top nut a little above the bolt so you hitting the nut not the bolt.

Yep. I did start out using one nut but it deformed. Should have used two. I didn’t expect the bolt to be that soft

alright, I got it apart. I was able to re-bend the threaded pin to straighten it using a heavy mallet and wood and heat. Then I took a grinder to re-work the mushroomed end down to allow it to slide through the bushing. After almost a 1/2 hour and nearly a bottle of high heat bottle for the benzomatic torch, it finally gave way and I was able to pound the bushing off. I will have to sand down the shoulder of the pin and the internal of the bushing. Then hopefully I can re-cut the threads on the pin. The main thing, is I don’t have to try and find that hinge assembly.
DEDF7FBB-3935-47F9-BEBF-7B8356BD4B29.jpeg
92C199FB-AB37-4C5E-AE29-B40862F5C863.jpeg

Before putting it back together and reinstalling, you might want to consider drilling a hole and tap in some threads and putting in a zerk. After I got mine apart and cleaned up I installed a zerk in the top hinge and lower hinge. Even with bushings, greasing them makes a world of difference.

I mangled mine too, but for re-assembly I just used bolts, washers, nylock nuts and oem bushings with some white lithium grease.
It swings smoothly, is rattle free and adjustable.

IMG_1661.JPG

IMG_1664.JPG

The only way I was able to get my pins out was to cut the welds on the back of the hinge so I could pry it apart enough to drive the pin out and the reweld the hinge. This was the last resort after trying a lot of heat and a very large industrial press.

I think I can re-cut my threads. But your set up actually looks really good
I need to replace the nuts on the spare tire hinge pin assembly. Can someone tell me the size and thread pattern? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom