removing smog pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in the process of a total overhaul on the 2F in my 1986 FJ60. The smog pump is shot; it got oiled and is locked up. I would like to do away with it entirely but the smog pump acts as the tightener for the water pump belt. I saw where SOR has a replacement pulley and bracket made out of aluminum. Lots of bling and a whopping $200. Sort of like killing a piss-ant with a sledge hammer in my opinion. What are my other options? (a) Can I take the gutted one that was on my 1976 FJ40 and use it as a pulley? (b) Can I get the local welder to make me something? (c) Is there a reasonable bracket/pulley arrangement for sale elsewhere? Any other ideas would be appreciated. We do not have emissions testing here fortunately.

Search for installing another alternator in its place. You can gut it and replace the bearings and just leave it in or heard of putting a air compressor there too.

Goodluck

One word of caution about removing the pump - it's rumored that without the pump the cat will quickly fail and plug up.

Thanks for warning about CAT

I think the CAT will be "relocated" as well. I would keep the smog pump but I have never heard anyone say a good thing about it. I have spent 3 days carefully removing and labeling all the emissions stuff. I cannot believe that all this stuff really makes a positive difference. As a note: I just had an HEI distributor installed on my newly built 2F in my FJ40 (Jim C carb rebuild). This one is totally desmogged except for PCV and fuel cut. First mileage test came up 15mpg+!!! I would think that 15mpg desmogged would be better for the environment than 10-12 mpg with all the smog stuff on it when you consider the quantity of fuel that is being burned. Same concept as dieting...fewer calories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom