1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

removing smog pump

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by Heartworm, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Heartworm

Heartworm

I am in the process of a total overhaul on the 2F in my 1986 FJ60. The smog pump is shot; it got oiled and is locked up. I would like to do away with it entirely but the smog pump acts as the tightener for the water pump belt. I saw where SOR has a replacement pulley and bracket made out of aluminum. Lots of bling and a whopping $200. Sort of like killing a piss-ant with a sledge hammer in my opinion. What are my other options? (a) Can I take the gutted one that was on my 1976 FJ40 and use it as a pulley? (b) Can I get the local welder to make me something? (c) Is there a reasonable bracket/pulley arrangement for sale elsewhere? Any other ideas would be appreciated. We do not have emissions testing here fortunately.

2. NocalFJ60

NocalFJ60

Media:
    Albums:
    Search for installing another alternator in its place. You can gut it and replace the bearings and just leave it in or heard of putting a air compressor there too.

Goodluck

3. Cruisergreg

Cruisergreg

One word of caution about removing the pump - it's rumored that without the pump the cat will quickly fail and plug up.

4. Heartworm

Heartworm

Thanks for warning about CAT

I think the CAT will be "relocated" as well. I would keep the smog pump but I have never heard anyone say a good thing about it. I have spent 3 days carefully removing and labeling all the emissions stuff. I cannot believe that all this stuff really makes a positive difference. As a note: I just had an HEI distributor installed on my newly built 2F in my FJ40 (Jim C carb rebuild). This one is totally desmogged except for PCV and fuel cut. First mileage test came up 15mpg+!!! I would think that 15mpg desmogged would be better for the environment than 10-12 mpg with all the smog stuff on it when you consider the quantity of fuel that is being burned. Same concept as dieting...fewer calories.