Removing Smog On A 75 Fj55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any advise on removing smog equiptment on a 1975 fj55, what do I remove and does it really help?

There are a lot of guys who have done this. Big question is DO YOU NEED TO DO THIS?. Desmogging a 2F has become something to do because we notice others doing it. Spicy claims like "massive power gains", "improved performance", "25 MPG", "I can tow a battleship", etc are common. All of these claims are very doubtful at best. You have to know what you are doing and why. I don't see the point of ripping all the smog stuff out if it works. If your motor is tired, or the carb needs a rebuild or there is neglected timing/maintenance then ripping out this stuff won't change things for the better. The stock dizzy and carb were designed with the smog control stuff in mind. Just ripping it out may cause unforeseen issues with the carb and timing for instance. IMHO I would leave an intact emissions system alone. If the system is missing stuff, or has been messed with by a previous owner, or parts can't be found etc then it is worth looking into. With that comes knowing what to cap off, which vacuum lines need to go etc. You may also find that rebuilding the carb to non-USA specs will be required. This may be more of a project than just ripping so-called unnecessary parts out of your rig.

Good luck!

Max

Last edited:
My advice is don't.

1. Any benefit is small compared to the work and is not worth the effort.
2. It may run worse in some circumstances.
3. If it is all original, it will be worth less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom