Removing Shifter Bezel 2003 Land Cruiser? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just joined this site and hope this is the correct place to post this: I need to remove the chrome beauty bezel trim around the shifter on my 2003 Toyota Land Cruiser so I can peel off the wrinkled chrome and paint it black. It seems anchored or clipped to the plastic floor plate that the shifter and differential levers stick up through, and I may need to remove the whole assembly just to get to the bezel. I have a couple of different shop manuals for Land Cruisers but neither one of them goes into any detail about removing shifter trim, and most of the posts I see on this site deal with removing the dash trim around the radio or the center console. It looks like there should be an easy way to just lift the whole shifter floor plate out in one piece after I remove the shifter knobs, but I don't see any screws to remove and I don't want to crack something by prying around. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Shift into Neutral, Put the park brake on and pull up from where the cup holders are. There are clips on the center console piece that snap into the metal frame underneath. that whole piece all the way under to the ashtray will come off. The shifter piece will stay put while removing the larger. This will also bring up the chrome piece I believe you are referring to and I also believe it will pop out as well.
Good Luck.

Forgot to mention that you will need to pay attention to the wires for the seat heater as well as pwr button and possible AHC panel.

- put key in ignition, turn ON, foot on brake, put shift into Neutral
- unscrew the 4WD knob (grip firmly & twist it ccw). Do the same with the trans shifter knob
- flip open the cup holder lid
- grip the lid (which is now oriented vertically) on the left & right corners & firmly tug it upwards... the metal friction clips underneath the cup wells will release
- locate the 2 seat heater switch modular connectors underneath the console... using a small flat-blade screwdriver, depress the locking tabs (these are facing the DS) allowing the male plugs to release. Then do the same for the PWR/2nd switch to the left if the shifter
- elevate the rear of the console, then slide it rearward so the front edge pulls out from beneath the ashtray fascia. Its now free. Pull it up & over the shifter
- flip the center console cover upside-down... you'll see several molded-in plastic tabs underneath that retain the chrome-plated trimp. The Trim is thin & somewhat flexible, and can be flexed & deformed around these tabs; with care I've been able to remove the trim this way without cracking it
- use an X-Acto knife to peel the chrome plating off the Trim ring
- re-assemble. have a homebrew

- put key in ignition, turn ON, foot on brake, put shift into Neutral
- unscrew the 4WD knob (grip firmly & twist it ccw). Do the same with the trans shifter knob
- flip open the cup holder lid
- grip the lid (which is now oriented vertically) on the left & right corners & firmly tug it upwards... the metal friction clips underneath the cup wells will release
- locate the 2 seat heater switch modular connectors underneath the console... using a small flat-blade screwdriver, depress the locking tabs (these are facing the DS) allowing the male plugs to release. Then do the same for the PWR/2nd switch to the left if the shifter
- elevate the rear of the console, then slide it rearward so the front edge pulls out from beneath the ashtray fascia. Its now free. Pull it up & over the shifter
- flip the center console cover upside-down... you'll see several molded-in plastic tabs underneath that retain the chrome-plated trimp. The Trim is thin & somewhat flexible, and can be flexed & deformed around these tabs; with care I've been able to remove the trim this way without cracking it
- use an X-Acto knife to peel the chrome plating off the Trim ring
- re-assemble. have a homebrew
THANK YOU all for the response! It's all starting to make sense now. I'll try this method tomorrow afternoon when I get home, and let you know the results!!!

Hey there! Thank you again for the very detailed explanation! I gave it a try but when I pull up on the corners of the cup holder lid it does NOT want to give and it seems something else may be securing the console cover; I see 2 side screws, one on each side of the console itself even with the front edge of the cup holders, in between where the seats almost touch the side of the console. Any chance I need to remove those? Again, thank you for your advice!!!

Check out Jerryb's post:

there are 4 clips only on the thing, 3 screws hold the cup holder part with the shifter part underneath.
Just pull it up from the soft fake leather around the hi low lever side, or with pressure on the open spot forward of the PWR/2nd button if you have an open slot there. OR, gently from the cup holder area itself closest to where the screws would be looking at it upside down.

It's best to reseat it with the upper little plastic cover where the ashtry and cig light sockets are removed. Then reseat the shifter + cupholder trim, then test the cupholder, then re install the plastic trim that houses the ashtray, cig lighter.

Tilt the piece up and shove into the corners closest to the dash. Lay it down over the hilo shifter and then let the cupholder portion rest where it goes. Gently push the two rear most clips down into holes. Then the top two. This is the best way and works probably two of three times for correct cupholder lid operations. sheesh that was long. I"m also not working, so I'm Bored to death.
View attachment 1402095 View attachment 1402096 View attachment 1402097

Done deal! Couldn't have done it without your help. That satin black bezel around the shifter looks SO much better than peeling chrome! Have a great weekend!

IMG_2470.JPG

that looks great!

Can you replace the chrome trim with a new piece vs painting black? Is it still available?
thought I would answer my own question. Yes they are available and link w more info is below. Call me a nerd, but I like the OEM look with chrome. Part is cheap so I will pick one up. Should get another 15 years out of it.

Thanks for bumping this and for the directions. I have a ton of creaks under there and I’m going to pull it today and get after it with a roll of felt tape.

So glad I found this thread. It helped me find my iPod interface (USA Spec PA20-TOY) so I can use the aux input. Also so I could remove the AHC switch and replace with the lil pocket.

Gents, is there any bulb (backlight) in marked area? In my car everything seems to be dark at night. I have only lights on when pressed: window heating, rear fan, mirrors heating, but no backlight anywhere.

IMG_2470.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom