Builds Removing SBC conversion, going back to Toyota. 1972 Frame Off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We had a rainy weekend and are salt free(for now). Good day to put some more miles on. Now up to 95.
BEF07C7D-8E3C-4A17-BE33-13B36F0CF793.jpeg

Are the side aprons supposed to sit higher than the tub?
In that pic, the front end hadn’t been sent home yet. Looking at 1000 pics of 40s it’s hard to see a definitive answer as the aprons are all over the place. There are still adjustments being made as “done” hasn’t happened yet for this one.

Just to give you an idea of what a pain in the neck it is to get perfect; When the rear hatch was installed, it wouldn’t sit square in the opening. After trying all the hinges, the hardtop sides and the tub, it turned out that it needed an 1/8” spacer in a mid bed body mount to get it to pull into square. You and I both know that these trucks flex all over the place and will even look differently depending on how it’s parked.

Last edited:
In that pic, the front end hadn’t been sent home yet. Looking at 1000 pics of 40s it’s hard to see a definitive answer as the aprons are all over the place. There are still adjustments being made as “done” hasn’t happened yet for this one.

Just to give you an idea of what a pain in the neck it is to get perfect; When the rear hatch was installed, it wouldn’t sit square in the opening. After trying all the hinges, the hardtop sides and the tub, it turned out that it needed an 1/8” spacer in a mid bed body mount to get it to pull into square. You and I both know that these trucks flex all over the place and will even look differently depending on how it’s parked.
Just curious. My 40 is in storage and I couldn't remember.

Just curious. My 40 is in storage and I couldn't remember.
I think mine is like that also, I’ve never put the effort into trying to level them out either.

I was just restoring one of those a couple weeks ago for a red '73. Fun fact: When bench testing, the 3 wires ( ign, hi, low) will give hi & low speeds, but the park function didn't work on the bench. I said screw it & installed motor and it parked. The park function occurs only with the motor screwed to the grounded windshield frame.

I was just restoring one of those a couple weeks ago for a red '73. Fun fact: When bench testing, the 3 wires ( ign, hi, low) will give hi & low speeds, but the park function didn't work on the bench. I said screw it & installed motor and it parked. The park function occurs only with the motor screwed to the grounded windshield frame.
Thanks for the heads up, Jim. Bench testing is reserved for the end of my next wrenching day. Merry Christmas!

@thecrazygreek , any luck recreating the park switch cover? If anyone has a 3d printer file available for sale, let me know as well.

Thanks for the heads up, Jim. Bench testing is reserved for the end of my next wrenching day. Merry Christmas!

@thecrazygreek , any luck recreating the park switch cover? If anyone has a 3d printer file available for sale, let me know as well.
I might have one of the non screw cover if that what you need. @BIG RENO AL may have a file. Thats who made the cover I got.

Do you by chance have one of the black covers that cover the contactor on the front of the main wiper motor?

@FJ40Jim / @Coolerman

For bench testing theses old Wiper motors, a few questions.

Here is my understanding :

The solid blue gets +12V from the battery
To get high you ground the blue/red
To get low you ground the blue / black
You can run a ground to the motor Chassis just in case

I have tried this on two seperate motors and neither worked. I think the odds that 2 motors not working were low, but I guess it can happen.

Thanks
Ernie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom