Removing rear window help needed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any help out there on how to get the window rubbers off. I want to take off the ambulance doors on my rusted 40 and the crosshead screws are real tight. I've heated them a little with propane and they come off easy with a hand drill with torque settings so that the drill impacts on the screw till it loosens. Maybe heat is generally a bad idea in case the panels warp but on my 40, its not a worry.

Anyway the lower hinge is off but the top hinge is too close to the window for heating hence the need to get the window and rubbers off.

did you try using a screw driver and a pair of vise grips on the head at the same time, has worked for me in the past. lots of PB Blaster also

For the windows, use something like a guitar string or flexible wire. Insert the wire between the door and gasket. Wrap the ends around a couple of screwdrivers and work the wire with a sawing motion all the way around the frame. Works great.

Now for the screws (I used this when removing my ambulance doors), I use a trick taught to me by my cousin. I know not everyone has one of these but this method has never failed me when trying to remove broken or stripped bolts. Take a MIG or wire feed welder, build a bead right on top of the bolt head/end (friend of mine places a copper tube around the bolt to make sure he doesn’t weld the bolt to whatever it is stuck to), remove it with a pair of pliers. The bolt usually comes right out. If it is really stubborn it might take repeated steps.

Good luck

Hmmmmm the guitar string I did but still didnt get the rubber off, is it just a case of getting the fingers in behind and pulling it away. I'm amazed how fresh and supple the gluey goo still is that holds the outer rubber to the frame.

Yeh the vicegrips sounds helpful, even made me think of how I got the viscous fan unit apart on another Toyota. If I'm right there was about 8 crosshead screws and all very tight. With a few adapters I ended up being able to use a socket wrench with a crosshead driver on the end of it, just needed a good bit of inward pressure to hold the crosshead in the screwhead. The leverage from the wrench did the real work.

Just take a small screwdriver and lightly work the rubber onthe inside to the outside of the lip. Keep working your way around and the window will come out. I have heard of the string deals but mine are pretty stiff from being 30 years old. With the exception of the front door glass, I remved & installed all my glass this way. It'd good to have a helper outside to catch it if it falls and to help put pressure inward on hte reinstall.

Regarding the hinges, you may not have to remove the entire hinge. Take a small grinder or dremmel and grind one side of the pins off then drive it out with a small punch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom