Removing radiator and refrigeration hoses... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Removing radiator
So I hooked up a compressor to my overflow line and confirmed my radiator is leaking badly through the front fins. As I eyeballed the removal process and checked the FSM I see there are A/C lines going into the radiator, and the FSM says simply "discharge the refrigeration system".

So, how does one do that? The Cruiser is dead in my garage, so it's not like I'm heading to a mechanic anytime soon. I searched enough to know this is somewhat dangerous(frostbite?), and would avoid discharging into the atmosphere if possible, but if not....well enough about that.

Any hints out there?

The AC condenser sits in front of the radiator. You might have to take the mount bolts out, but you shouldn't have to totally remove the AC condenser to get the radiator out. It's bad JuJu to vent the freon into the atmosphere and it's very valuable. If you need to remove the AC condenser, I'm sure some local mechanic would be happy to come out and capture the freon.

Last edited:
x2 on bad for the environment, however, just so you know you don't really have to worry about getting burned by the freon, unless you purposely leave your hand on the tube you are releasing it from. If you absolutely need to remove it just break a connection with wrench or there are two fittings on the compressor itself you can use to bleed the freon from the system.

If you know anyone who does HVAC they should have the correct tools for the job, probably cheaper than a mechanic. All you need is a vacuum pump and freon tank plus freon gauges. Is your system running r-12 freon?

Yes, it's running r-12. And it sure looks to me like there are A/C hoses running directly into the radiator on the front left(PS) and front right(DS) of the radiator. I'll take a pic tonite and post.

I don't need anymore bad juju with this truck...

Are the lines running into the radiator? They should be running into a condenser coil in front of the radiator. The condenser should look like a mini radiator.

Do not disconnect the AC lines. The AC drier will unbolt and the hoses will flex plenty to make room. I did need to pull the battery, though. You are describing the condenser, which should lie just in front of the rad. Don't forget the trans cooler lines need to be unhooked for the rad to come out, as well.

don't disconnect

Do not disconnect the AC lines. The AC drier will unbolt and the hoses will flex plenty to make room. I did need to pull the battery, though. You are describing the condenser, which should lie just in front of the rad. Don't forget the trans cooler lines need to be unhooked for the rad to come out, as well.

Yup,

I have done this job twice, it is really easy. The lines on the left you speak of are NOT through the radiator. Just pull the bolts and the lines will slide out of the way....

Of course you are all correct. I rechecked the situation and all is as you say. Just ordered the rad and the job is scheduled for this weekend.
Thanks you guys.

A/C discharge hose?

INDIVIDUAL PARTS: Click on the Number
next to the part for price and availability.
053B1.gif

I guess I'm talking about the discharge hose; #40 above. Comes right from compressor. OK to disconnect?Sorry I'm so slow...

I'm pretty sure if you remove that hose the freon will flow out of the ac system. You might be able to unbolt part 3 from that diagram, the AC dryer to have enough room to replace the rad.

My condenser coil was rotted out when I got my truck and instead of shelling out the cash for a new one I converted my stock ac compressor to OBA.

There is the hard line condenser line as well, but that seems to just unbolt and pull away. It's this discharge hose I'm worried about.

Unbolt #4 and pull #3 away from the side of the rad mount. Perhaps pull the battery and/or tray out to make more room if needed. The rad will come out and go back in without fully removing the condenser in front of it. Just the condenser mounting bolts will need to come out, but it can otherwise stay put. Hence, opening the AC system is not needed. Pull the grill off and take a closer look, perhaps you'll see what we are describing.

as noted ...all you need to do in order to get radiator out. Remove front grill, remove bolts that hold condensor, slightly move condensor out of the way where you can remove bolts that hold radiator from the front, remove bolts that hold fan shroud, remove radiator hoses, remove two large bolts that attach radiator mount bracket to core support, radiator lifts straight up and out.

Once I had the grill off, it all became clear. I was confusing the condensor with the radiator, as my coolant leak was pushing through the condensor from the front of the radiator.
Job scheduled for Friday/Saturday. Thanks for putting up with my ignorance.

Nick

Once I had the grill off, it all became clear. I was confusing the condensor with the radiator, as my coolant leak was pushing through the condensor from the front of the radiator.
Job scheduled for Friday/Saturday. Thanks for putting up with my ignorance.

Nick

any time...always feel free to ask questions. We all have things to learn along the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom