Removing MOLD from seatbelts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have black mold growing on my seatbelts and want to know if there is a good way of killing the mold without destroying the strength of the belts?

My wife said she would use Clorox Cleanup Spray w bleach. It is a hand pump spray bottle. Might discolor them a bit. Spray them, maybe work them with a brush a little, then wipe down with a rag full of straight water. Or just pull them out and lay them in direct sunshine. They heat and light should kill the mold, then run them thru a light wash and rinse cycle at the laundry mat when nobody is looking. Might be a bit noisy. Lay them out to air dry. John

good old vodka dude.... kills the stuff instantly! use it if you have bathroom mould too!

Take them out and take them to the car wash and let them dry in the sun. I used my own power washer and it worked great. No more problems.

THanks, I'm most inclined to do the Bleach then power wash. I have "sprayed" my bathroom with vodka more than once now the wife refuses to let me drink it anymore or was it play with it...
thanks guys

I bought used 62 series rear shoulder belts for my 60, and soaked them in warm water with oxyclean for an hour or so and then scrubbed them with a scrub brush and warm water/oxyclean. Rinsed them in plain warm water, let them dry in the sun, and they look almost brand new...

At the risk of being the safety weener here... if your seatbelts are old enough to be growing
mold, maybe it's time to replace them??

Jus' sayin'.

They make us put new harnesses into the race cars every two years now....

t

@TobyB I thought about that it's not age that brought the mold it's the weather in this hell for saken part of the world. I had the body all closed and covered but the whole for the shifters wasn't covered well enough and the humidity got in. Body just went back on the frame and that's the only issue thankfully.

Microban. Wont hurt the color and is what we in the restoration biz use to kill mold all the time. It's available at home depot . And there's about 500 different molds that are black so don't fret over the color. Just spray some microban on it, wipe it off and it'll never grow again.

Microban. Wont hurt the color and is what we in the restoration biz use to kill mold all the time. It's available at home depot . And there's about 500 different molds that are black so don't fret over the color. Just spray some microban on it, wipe it off and it'll never grow again.

Thank you. I'll be tackling them this weekend if the sun shines and the creek don't rise.

I'm with Toby about safety. Anything stronger than dish soap will damage the nylon. Add 30 years of sunlight and it's unlikely they would hold up in a crash. Climbing ropes and nylon webbing have a 5 year lifespan.

Rather than spend a whole Saturday dinking around to save an already compromised safety device. Pony up $100 and do it right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom