Removing lift/teraflex advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to remove teraflex revolver shackles to go more towards stock. In the front I have teraflex(s) and reversed shackles, on the rear I have a double shackle? Any advice on removing/replacing and going less aggressive?

Also, if I elect to keep the lift can I just measure the overall height of the devices and install a simpler shackle?

IMG_7052.jpg

IMG_7051.jpg

You may want to post some full photos of your rig rather than just portions. The full photos will help other make suggestions based on current ride height, stance, etc... In addition, the full photos may indicate other issues that need to be addressed at the same time. Also include your intended future upgrades/mods and intended use. You mention that you would like to take it back more toward the stock version which sounds like you may intend to use more as a daily driver. Based on the type of mods it currently has, it would be safe to say that it may have been wheeled considerably, and possibly without mercy. If your intention is to use as a daily driver I would advise checking the frame for issues like cracks or being out of square as these can affect future safety as a daily driver. If you happen to find any serious frame issues you may want to reconsider the time and money you will be investing taking it back to stock. Obviously this is just my $0.02 but these are the things I would consider if it was me. Looking forward to seeing additional pics if you decide to post them!

You may want to post some full photos of your rig rather than just portions. The full photos will help other make suggestions based on current ride height, stance, etc... In addition, the full photos may indicate other issues that need to be addressed at the same time. Also include your intended future upgrades/mods and intended use. You mention that you would like to take it back more toward the stock version which sounds like you may intend to use more as a daily driver. Based on the type of mods it currently has, it would be safe to say that it may have been wheeled considerably, and possibly without mercy. If your intention is to use as a daily driver I would advise checking the frame for issues like cracks or being out of square as these can affect future safety as a daily driver. If you happen to find any serious frame issues you may want to reconsider the time and money you will be investing taking it back to stock. Obviously this is just my $0.02 but these are the things I would consider if it was me. Looking forward to seeing additional pics if you decide to post them!

This is awesome advice.

@Drake2 - I need to take a few more pictures, but here are a few angles. The long term intent is to be a weekend cruiser with some gravel roads / light wheeling. That being said, lowering the overall height and going back towards stock wheels is going to be in the near future.

IMG_6859.jpg

IMG_6636.jpg

hIMG_6202.jpg

IMG_6201.jpg

Hi @ATLTJ ....thanks for posting some additional pics. That is a really nice looking rig! The only thing that jumps out at me is the brake line coming off the passenger side, rear caliper. It is just asking to be caught on something and then bad things will happen. I would get that line under control soon. It is possible that the terra flex system was added for the "cool" factor and never really used in that manner but you will not really know until you check the the frame closely with your own eyes. If you have a local body shop that you trust, you could have them load it on the frame machine and check it for being out of square and if it is, by how much. It does not have to be perfect, in fact I think you would be hard pressed to find one that is perfect. If the frame checks out ok then I would start sourcing the OEM style spring hangers you will need. I believe that Mark @65swb45 used to sell them. If Mark does not have them there are other vendors online that have them. Or you could post a "want" ad in the classifieds for some good used ones. Upload more pics when you have the time.

Drake2

Thank you for the feedback @Drake2 . After looking at this more (and reading a lot more about shackle angle ect..) I noticed there is play in the bolts that are anchoring the shackles. I am going to source a spacer for this. How dangerous is it to drive in the meantime?

IMG_7647.jpg

IMG_7646.jpg

Normally shackle hanger width is the same dimension as the width of spring eye. Are your current springs gonna fit at the shackle hanger and spring pin hanger?

I don't see a flaw with using washers to support the bushing side to take up the slack unless they begin to wallow out grooves in the bolt or inner shackle plates. I'd loosen up the u-bolts on the axle, because the axle perch and spring pins are actually positioning the rear spring eyes.

What is the average center to center dimensions of the two main shackle bolts as it currently sits (for purposes of finding conventional shackles)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom