Removing injectors for testing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The engine is a 13bt on a 89 BJ74 with 11500kms. I would like to remove my injectors and have them tested. I suspect leaking nozzles, even though it is unlikely because of its low KM. Since I bought it, it has had a bit of a miss at idle when it warms up. I can adjust the hand throttle and it will still miss. It shoots out Black smoke on start, and will smoke when pulling away from a traffic light after it idles for a minute. Fuel economy is getting worse as the problem progresses. I have not yet ruled out timing either.

Yesterday I tried to remove them to bring in to a local injector shop for testing. I disconnected the union nuts, removed the leakage pipe, and two bolts on the injector bodies, but could not get them out, I did not want to wrench on the things in fear of damaging something.

My question is there a trick to pulling them out?

If they are like mine that require a LOT of torque to undo.

I needed a lot of force on this extension:

InjectorUndo.jpg

:cheers:

Edit: Perhaps yours are different than mine though. (2 bolts on injector bodies?)
InjectorUndo.jpg

Here is a picture of mine. It looks like they just slip out??? Am I just a wimp?

Sorry... My brains not working properly today. Somewhere deep down I already knew a 13BT was indirect injection with those different-style injectors.

Edit err....after Toyroverlander's post below ..... DIRECT injection is what I meant to say here #@*!! ...:eek:

:beer:

PS. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with them. (But I would have expected them not to be "threaded in place" and therefore easier to get out. So I'm as puzzled as you are.)

Last edited:
You may need to tap them with a mallet to loosen. You might also have luck using a pry-bar under the upper section. Just be careful. They usually just need a tap to loosen then you can wiggle them as you pull.
The bottom washers like to stick in the bore sometimes and the tip of the injector will have carbon on it which makes it tough to pull through.

Sorry... My brains not working properly today. Somewhere deep down I already knew a 13BT was indirect injection with those different-style injectors.

:beer:

PS. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with them. (But I would have expected them not to be "threaded in place" and therefore easier to get out. So I'm as puzzled as you are.)

Looks your brain is still not working properly:D 13BT is direct injection.

Just a quick hi-jack, the 3B injectors are threaded in place?

Ps. LandRover 2.25 diesels have the same push-in style injectors and they can be an absolute b*tch to get out. There's too much room around them so they sort of rust in place and get jammed. Can be very, very hard to get them out.

Good luck with yours!

Looks your brain is still not working properly:D 13BT is direct injection.....

I can't argue with that! (But I'll blame a headcold .... or perhaps it's swine flu I've got :D)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom