1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing Hard-top- How many people?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by PeterC, Aug 16, 2006.

1. PeterC

PeterC

Hi All,
    I need to start stopping the rust issues on my BJ41. How much does the top weigh?
    Are there any tricks to removing it?
    Will it sit level on the ground or does it want to tip over?
    Any other tips are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,

Peter

2. numtel

numtel

It will sit level, I had 4 people help with mine but I had to lift it over a 6 foot fence. Just make sure you undo all the bolts it's not to bad. With 2 strong people or 3 normal people I'm sure you'd be fine.

3. SurfPonto

SurfPonto

Definetley a two person job to lift it off. When I took the top off of our FJ40 I removed the ambulance doors first , then took the fiberglass roof off and then the sides.

Lots of bolts to undo. Would be alot easier to remove it with the sides attached but I was planning on having those restored at some point so wanted them separate.

Still haven't put it back on but love driving it topless.

4. ranger

ranger

~About 500 lbs
    ~No tricks to getting it off, bolts along the side panels inside, and on the windshield. If you have rust be prepared fo a couple of bolts to break off.
    ~Won't sit level due to the post that go in the door rails. But it will sit on the gound without falling over.
    ~It's best to have two people to get it off, I've done it myself, but it was a PITA and my back was not happy for a couple of days.
    ~Additional tip: Once you get the top off, cut off the posts that go into the tub until there is about 3" left. Makes it a heck of alot easier to get te top off in the future, don't have to lift it up so high.

5. ranger

ranger

One more thing....If you totally disassemble the top to get it off, they never go back together right again.

6. projektdotnet

projektdotnet

if it takes more than 3-4 people then you're doing it wrong. make sure to double check that you've got all the bolts out before attempting to lift. Takes about 5 minutes or so
    Edit: when i say all the bolts out i mean the ones going into the tub or winshield frame not the whole top ;)

7. rusty_tlc

rusty_tlc Dain Bramaged Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I always make sure I have myself and at least two other fairly strong guys. Me + three is better. A couple of cinder blocks under the rear corners will make the top sit almost level. I throw a coupl of pallets underneth to keep the doors off the ground during the summer storage.

Hints;
    -Liquid wrench the bolts the night before, every day for a couple of days would be better.
    -Dont forget the bolts along the front windshield frame, and door post. :doh:
    -Take off the spare.
    -Take off the rear door/doors.
    -You can leave the front doors on.
    -This is a good introduction to the use of the easy out, get the right size and practice. You can get by with a lot less bolts than the OEM so it isn't a mission critical application. The skill will come in useful in the future.
    -Buy a soft top and e-bay the hard top.

8. camcruiser13

camcruiser13

Media:
    Albums:
    cut the posts down about 5 inches,

take it off as one piece

9. armourguard

armourguard

10. GJCruiser

GJCruiser

three or four people are a real help. It's not the absolute weight-the top probably weighs only 250lb-275lbs.-it's that the "lift" must be high enough for the posts right behind the doors to clear out of the body.

I would not cut my posts off. There's the originality thing plus they probably provide support in addition to the shear on the bolts, particularly in a roll situation.

11. Trollhole

Trollhole THC Supporting Vendor Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I have a soft top and the hard top. Hard top in winter and soft top in summer. So I'm only moving it twice a year. I take the hard top off in pieces. Can do it by myself. THe fiberglass top is akward to move but as long as you have a few towels placed to keep from scratching it or the rest of your cruiser. Sides and ambulance doors are easy. It stores easily in a small space and is out of the way. A lot better than leaving it outside to rust. Which is where I see most of them. If your top is in good shape take it apart. That way you can see if anything is starting to happen.If it doesn't go back together the way it came off then you have other issues. One of which is it has been wheeled hard.

12. bigndn

bigndn

Media:
    Albums:
    Agreed, three minimum and four maximum. It's not all that heavy, just bulky and a PITA to lift that high to clear the door posts.

Disagree, they are too fricking long to start with, IMO, and There's no way in hell they're gonna help at all in a rollover.

Just my $0.02

13. projektdotnet

projektdotnet

you only need about 2-3 inches of post. The added post wont do squat in a roll. Look at it's size. If your top is in good condition you dont need extra!

14. camcruiser13

camcruiser13

Media:
    Albums:

i would not cut mine off either, i would cut them down. flimsy top aint going to help much in a roll over, thats what the crappy stock roll bar is for

15. bigndn

bigndn

Media:
    Albums:
    OH, here's a thought........I rigged up a lift out of 2" or 3" nylon strapping that ended up looking like a T with one loop encircling through the door openings and the other strap attached to the first, but going out the rear opening and buckling to the front strap on top. It had two buckles, one for the front loop and one for the rear loop, both on anti-scratch pads. I did this on Mrs. B's sewing machine. I got the nylon strapping from the Army Surplus Store and I think the metal buckles, too. Lift point for balance was easy to figure out by trial and error. Then I rigged a pully type hoist up in my barn and could lift it completely (and easily) by myself. I gave it to the guy who is still supposed to buy my HT, but I could try to draw it up if anyone's interested.

16. camcruiser13

camcruiser13

Media:
    Albums:
    what if you used one of those atv wenches? throw that baby up in you garage and just push a button.

17. bigndn

bigndn

Media:
    Albums:

that'd work too. Originally, I was going to use a hand winch (like on a boat trailer), but never got to it.:cheers:

18. mikealeus

mikealeus

Media:
    Albums:
    I did it with three.

and that was taking it apart which I would never do again. I will wait until I have enough to lift it intact off the tub.

19. ranger

ranger

3 to 4 people to lift off a top?..................Come on now! Its not that heavy.

20. AZkick-n40

AZkick-n40

I've heard of people doing it themself but putting it on their back and "walking" it off. When I took mine off I had 3 people, more because it was ackward - 2 people can carry it easily once it is off the rig.

HTH,
    Brian

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">