Removing fuel injectors - FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've searched the forums and can't find a post that specifically describes the procedure for removing fuel injectors. Can anyone help? I'd like to remove the injectors from my '89 FJ62 (146,000 mi.) and send them off for cleaning.

Thanks

Sounds like a good job for the FSM ;)

welcome to mud :cheers:

FSM is what I used. I just got done with this one a few weeks ago. It's a pain in the arse because you need to remove the entire intake to get to them. to get to the intake require removing throttle cables, a few wires, coolant hoses, brackets bracing the intake. Label everything! screws, brackets vacum hoses. It made putting everything back so easy.

A few things I'd recommend having on hand ready to replace are the 6 spacers for the injectors to seat into, intake gasket, throttle body cleaner. You might as well clean the intake and throttle body while it's mostly off. You can scrub in there really good while still leaving the TB on the intake.

Check Fuel pressure reg and more importantly the pulsation dampner while you still have access to it. (at least tighten the screw under the plastic cap).

The cleaned up injectors made a big difference in smoothness, although I wonder if using Chevron with techron additives a few times would have saved the headache of getting to them.

Some place I have it posted when I did mine. Took just over an hour or so.

DR Injector (bob) in Gladstone Oregon. $20 each. Pretty cool to watch, flow chart and all.

Best single thing I did other than leather. Just sayin.

Shane

Just cuz you are a newbie with a single post ... FSM = Factory Service Manual. Don't do anything to your truck without it. Pulling the injectors is a :banana: job, maybe :banana::banana:. As said, make sure you have replacement gaskets and stuff on hand. Hopefully the shop that cleans the injectors will replace the o-rings, if not get those too. The fuel pressure regulator is a known issue on old 3FEs, and if it has never been replaced I would highly recommend spending the cash while the manifold is off. The damper can be an issue (leaks) and since it's at the back of the fuel rail you might want to consider replacement too.

[pimp=on]
Looking for parts cheap? Contact Cruiserdan here at MUD. He is the Parts Shaman at American Toyota (Albuquerque) and gives MUD people a 25% discount on parts (excluding a few things like manuals and TRD bits). Tell him what you are doing and he will know exactly what you need to finish the job right. Tell him Pappy sent ya.
[pimp=off]

Last edited:
GEEZ, where are my manners? Welcome to MUD newbie :flipoff2: <-- offical MUD welcome.

Thank guys, it's much appreciated. I've actually been creepin around MUD for a year or so, but have only posted a couple times and had to re-register for some reason.

The truck has been through the superior tune up at Urban Land Cruisers in Atlanta, but still hesitates on inclines and only gets about 10mpg. ULC said there is a ticking coming from the fuel pressure regulator, but didn't know why and didn't think it was an urgent problem.

By the way:
'89 FJ62, Smittybilt bumpers, otherwise stock.

Don't forget the injector seats. Its really an easy job. One mistake I see folks making is forgetting to unbolt the cold injector hard line. :whoops:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom