Removing Factory Tow Hitch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone removed their factory tow hitch?

If so, is there a DIY somewhere or some tips posted on how to pull it?

Thanks very much!

It is just a matter of unbolting it from the frame.

Step one: turn bolts to the left.
Step two: done.

May want to spray some PB Blaster or sim for a couple days being in O-H-I-O. But yeah most people on here have removed it. About the easiest fix you can do. Mine was tight and required a breaker bar.

It's somewhat heavy and awkward so either have a buddy hold one side for you or build up a small platform to rest one side on as you remove the bolts and gravity does it's magic...

It's somewhat heavy and awkward so either have a buddy hold one side for you or build up a small platform to rest one side on as you remove the bolts and gravity does it's magic...

If your talking about an under the frame style hitch, my bolts were full of sand/crap, so pretty tight. Had to crack the loose with a breaker bar. Then I just layed under the rig and supported the hitch with my knees and dropped the bolts out. John

Don't forget step 6 and be sure to bleed if you want it done properly.

I needed a sawzall..... Even though my undercarriage is far from a rust bucket.

My 2135 ti max, I won't say struggled, but it definitely took some time to pull em. Lube em up, smack the face of the bolts hard with a hammer and giver her hell.

FIXED! :p

Step one: turn bolts to the left.
Step two: done. Step two:listen to snapping bolts as you turn Step three: rejoice especially if you wont use those bolt holes again.

Stuck bolts/nuts seem to come lose better with a sudden crack/shock instead of building pressure. It seems to me that I've snapped more trying to be gentle. I think the shock is similar to using an impact

Torch is the best... Need the captive nuts for aftermarket bumpers

Agree. I had one that I had to cut off with an angle grinder. Then I had to re-weld the nut into the frame for my new back bumper. What a pain.
It would have been much easier to heat that baby red hot, let it cool, remove it easily and replace it. Old bolts were junk anyway.

pb blaster. impact.

If your talking about an under the frame style hitch, my bolts were full of sand/crap, so pretty tight. Had to crack the loose with a breaker bar. Then I just layed under the rig and supported the hitch with my knees and dropped the bolts out. John
Same way I did it last week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom