1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing Door Panels

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Doschev, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Doschev

Doschev

I need to remove the front and rear door panels to get access to my speakers.

Any advice from someone that has done this? Is there a tool that makes this easy?

Thanks

2. tucker74

tucker74 Moderator

Just remove the screws (under arm rests & handles) and it pops off fairly easily - start at one corner of the bottom and work your way across and then up. Once the catches are out (be careful not to damage) - just lift the whole panel and it will come out of the window track.

Tucker

3. Boom7750

Boom7750

Doschev...the "arm rest" pads and the power-window control panels both pop off. No tools needed, other than maybe a fine flat-blade to get things started. Once off, remove the screws Tucker mentioned. There are 4 screws per side...2 under the arm pad, one where the grab rail attaches to the upper door, and a small one that holds the trim for the inside door-opener handle.
    Carefully work your way around the door to pop out the quick-fasteners, then gently slide the loose door panel sideways to clear one corner (you'll see what I mean) from under the b-pillar frame.
    Last, disconnect all wiring harnesses...2 on the DS, 3 on the PS.
    Just did it yesterday myself...still couldn't get the speakers to fit! Anybody interested in a new pair of Eclipse, front and rear??? Cheap.
    HIH,
    John

4. tucker74

tucker74 Moderator

John,

What couldn't you get to fit? Just used some 1/4" spacers and longer screws to mount the Eclipse right in the front factory hole (see my post in 80 FAQ) - the back takes a little more mod...but I was able to use the factory grills front and back.

Tucker

5. Boom7750

Boom7750

Tucker...This is not so much an indictment of the speakers or the process, but of my patience and ability. Thx for the tip on the 1/4" spacers. I was trying 5.5" x 1/2"...not even close. Decided just to button everything back up...Hell, I'm half deaf anyway, wtf do I need good sounds for anyway?!
    John