removing dash pad q's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.rockcrawler
what kind of screws are holding on the dash pads? upper and lower? i can't see back into the holes to recognize what tool to use to remove them.

What model 'Cruiser are you working on? The padded dash top on my '60 is held on with 4 - 10mm nuts, 3 or 4 clips and the lower screw on each side window defogger grille. I just pulled it last week to replace the heater core. It's not a plesant job as everything needs to be removed to get that far!
The lower dash is even more work and the top needs to be removed before the bottom. :'(
The heater took about 8 hours to replace but that includes time I spent tiding up the alarm and stereo wiring as well as adding the wiring for some additional gauges.

sorry, i should have said, it's a 71 fj40.

The upper dash pad on my '78 FJ40 is held on by small phillips head screws and the only way to access them is by folding down the front windshield. You should then be able to use a short phillips head screw driver to back out the screws. Can't give any advice on the lower pads. Haven't had to replace those yet.

5 phillips head screws in the holes on the upper pad on my '71.  Plus the hand screws on either end.  Then it is clipon up above.  Might be hard to get off the first time.  The clips rusted onto the little frame bar screwed onto the upper pad on mine. You don't have to drop the windshield to take it off, but it might be easier the 1st time if yours is as rusted as mine.

If I recall correctly, it is just nuts from behind that hold on the lower pads.  Hafta look.

I have a '68 apart and will try an attach picture. Top pad has small phillips holding in the pockets. After these are removed pad has to be tapped upwards to release. Lower pads are held in place by plastic projections from back of pads into spring loaded holders in square holes in dash. I used putty knife to gently pry from dash.

I tried for 1 1/2 hrs to get the pad off without damaging it to no avail. Screws were rusted and therefore I stripped 4 out of 5 trying to remove and found that 30 seconds with a crow bar and 1 1/2 hrs of pad removing rage pent up seemed to do the trick for me. Pad fit nicely in the dumpster after that.

Eternal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom