Removing Cat Conv completely off LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone ever completely taken off cat converter and replaced with straight pipe? If so, how much louder was it and was it worth it with the extra noise. Not wanting to spend that much on replacement cat conv and just looking at options.

The search function on the forum isn't always great, but you can get good results from Google. Here are a few threads addressing the same question that came up first

The search function on the forum isn't always great, but you can get good results from Google. Here are a few threads addressing the same question that came up first

Subscribed for when the cat thieving assholes eventually steal my cats...

@SpenserAK Aside from one of the 3 search options you posted being for the 100 series, not an 80... even if it self identifies as one, them links don't really talk about how to get past the OBD2 02 check engine light. Just saying...

Oops, missed the one from the 100 forum..

Only skimmed the threads I found, but I've seen them before, and there are others. I was pretty sure in the past I found discussion relating to avoiding codes/etc, but the point was more about better ways to search for those threads.

Last edited:
I did it in my 94 so the o2 placement is different, it threw no codes. It sounded like a Honda rice rocket at high rpm, people behind me on trails said my truck was stinky, my wife said truck was stinky as well. No benefits other than it made my weld on slides easier to install. I would run at least one. I had no inspections where I lived. Current trucks both have both cats 🐈

Has anyone ever completely taken off cat converter and replaced with straight pipe? If so, how much louder was it and was it worth it with the extra noise. Not wanting to spend that much on replacement cat conv and just looking at options.
First of all, why do your cats need replacing? Mine are 1993 with 312k miles and look new inside. Whatever has ruined your cats will ruin new ones. Without cats the exhaust stinks. The cats are there to burn off any unburned fuel still existing in the exhaust fumes.

Being you are in MS and not Commiefornia, cheaper aftermarket cats could be an option.

Last edited:
I don't run any with just a DynoMax muffler that pretty much sounds stock. I kept both O2s, and at first I would get a fairly consistent dash light, but the longer its been, the less and more random I get it. Mine runs a lot better and it doesnt "stink". I only run non ethanol 91 in it.

Thanks for all the replies and ideas. It keeps throwing check engine light code P0420 and I'm tired of looking at the check engine light. I had the O2 sensor replaced and it came back on about a month later. I was told that the only choices I had were to replace CC or run straight pipe but then i would have to deal with the extra noise. I didn't want it to sound like a crotch rocket going down the road either.

Thanks for all the replies and ideas. It keeps throwing check engine light code P0420 and I'm tired of looking at the check engine light. I had the O2 sensor replaced and it came back on about a month later. I was told that the only choices I had were to replace CC or run straight pipe but then i would have to deal with the extra noise. I didn't want it to sound like a crotch rocket going down the road either.
I replaced both of my O2 sensors and would still occasionally get the P0420. Ran a bottle of the product below through, got one more light and then haven't had it return since. It's been about a year or so. Who knows, I wouldn't doubt the code will come back again some day. If it's just occasionally I don't mind clearing it.

Amazon product ASIN B07HB7YVFG

why not put a resonator in the cats location? I'm registering my cruiser in Arizona because it's one of the states you can rego in without being a resident in and they don't require emissions. I'm sick and tired of having to find tires, detune my rig just to run the rollers every 2 years and barely (and I mean barely) pass. So I'm going to leave my cats on but if they clog up or whatever then I'm just going to put more mufflers and resonators on in place of the cats.

Hey mate thought I'd weigh in.

I have original cats but when i replaced the exhaust from cat back i got some extra flanges welded on for the centre muffler and rear res. I got straight pipe sections welded up for both spots so i could play with different muffler combos and therefore the sound. If i removed both mufflers and had straight pipes on it was very loud.

My point is that i think if you deleted the cats and kept both mufflers i dont see it suddenly being obnoxiously loud. Both of the new mufflers are straight through designs and still provide significant sound suppression for me. And when the straight pipes are in the cats definitely arent holding much back 😅

I bought my 97 with no cats, factory muffler. I cut off the resonator when I installed the rear bumper. My son has new cats on his 96 and no muffler. His truck is way louder, annoying. Mine sounded stock before I got rid of the resonator, now is a little loud outside the truck, don't hear it over the wind and tires inside the truck.

I'm registering my cruiser in Arizona because it's one of the states you can rego in without being a resident in and they don't require emissions.
Just as an FYI some parts of the state of Arizona do require emission testing, below you'll find a link to the Arizona ADEQ web site that has maps of the different areas that do require emission equipment and testing,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom