Removing bad overspray with Aircraft Stripper - questions & answers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rusto

SILVER Star
Threads
you may have noticed or maybe not.... but I just "graduated" up from FJ60 to BJ40. From '84 Pickup, to some year Camry my wife drove, to '95 4Runner, then to 87FJ60 and 07 Sequoia as the family rig.... and finally, to the pinnacle of Toyota utilitariansism (IMNSHO) - the BJ40.

It has many issues, one of which is the paint job. Still has great sheet metal in most places (I think!) but crappy fast and loose over spray EVERYWHERE. As I take off and fix various items, I'm also wanting to remove the overspray. I think Aircraft Stripper will do the job in a lot of places.

For example, the entire headlight assembly, has overspray on it. Before I soak the various parts in aircraft stripper I have a couple of questions.

1. How do I remove the little plastic pieces that hold the adjustment screws in place? I don't want those to be soaked in stripper, and I don't want to break them getting them out.
2. What will the aircraft stripper do to the chrome? Any experience on that?
3. What about the cadmium plating on the headlamp house?

Excited to get the overspray off, but I don't want to screw up everything in the process.

Thanks!

Pics

plastic piece.jpg

Headlight housing.jpg

Early returns on the aircraft stripper are mostly positive. I probably should have just let it work a little bit longer. Put it on with a cheap, disposable brush, let it sit for 30 minutes, the scrubbed with steel wool. Had I left it on longer, perhaps I would not have removed the cadmium plating.

I'm going to do a second coat today to get the rest off, then high-temp clear coat the parts until I get to the re-plating phase.

stripped headlight plate.jpg

I will have to say that the aircraft stripper does the trick. Second bucket I left the stripper on for longer, and did multiple coats. The gentle removal of the bubbled up paint left most of the plating intact. I did shoot some high temp clear coat on them, until I get to a place where I'm ready to get them replated. This rig has A LOT of over spray on it. Plus, I'll need to take the white off the front bib. Will be curious if I can just get the white off while leaving the yellow underneath.

Clean and cleared buckets.jpg

clean bucket.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom