Removing alternator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all... I need to replace the alternator on my 99 100 series and have never done it before. I was looking at the factory service manual and it said I need to remove radiator and PS pump to remove alternator?? That doesn’t sound right. Is it really necessary to remove those components before removing alternator??

It is not necessary, but It will make access a lot easier. I didn't remove my radiator, and it was very tight to squeeze the old one out and the new one in... Also a bit tough to bolt it all up.

Same as @CanadianRockyCruiser said. It is a VERY tight squeeze out the bottom but it can be done. I thought I would never get mine out!

Hey all... I need to replace the alternator on my 99 100 series and have never done it before. I was looking at the factory service manual and it said I need to remove radiator and PS pump to remove alternator?? That doesn’t sound right. Is it really necessary to remove those components before removing alternator??

No, just loosen the PS pump so you can slide it forward a bit. The alternator will rub some on the lower radiator hose when you wiggle it past it, so what. I unbolted the mount that holds the transmission lines in place also...so I could move them over as well...but it can be done without doing that.

It's a tight squeeze...no denying that, but very doable. It might be a good thing for you to have a replacement harness connector on hand. Mine (and many others) have found the connector on the back of the alternator to be very brittle. Mine pretty much disintegrated in my hand when I removed it.

LX470 alt conn.jpg

Last edited:
I just did my tensioner and was in the area - remove the p/s pump pulley and you shouldn't have much trouble from the top side if you decide to go that route, the pulley comes off easily and really opens the area up

I just replaced mine last weekend. I removed the power steering pulley and unbolted the power steering pump to have more room for removal. Also removed the lower radiator hose to get clearance. Of course, you also have to remove the engine cover, air intake hose, and front skid plate. I found that it was easier to remove the alternator from above than from underneath.

It's not complicated, but is a bit of a pain in the ass.

Unbolt the PS pump. I removed the reservoir tank and yanked it from the top. Came right out without much effort. Buy a replacement housing for the exciter wire because mine exploded.

I did mine while also replacing the radiator. I'd be reluctant to do it again without removing the radiator. Doable, but it only takes a short time to pull the rad. That time, to me, is less of a hassle than getting the alt out with the rad in place.

No, just loosen the PS pump so you can slide it forward a bit. The alternator will rub some on the lower radiator hose when you wiggle it past it, so what. I unbolted the mount that holds the transmission lines in place also...so I could move them over as well...but it can done without doing that.

It's a tight squeeze...no denying that, but very doable. I might be a good thing for you to have a replacement harness connector on hand. Mine (and many others) have found the connector on the back of the alternator to be very brittle. Mine pretty much disintegrated in my hand when I removed it.

View attachment 1787873

Eek!

Where did you get yours? My alternator died, possibly last Thursday, but just became apparent yesterday when electrical was acting weird. I had kind of a growling noise that was RPM dependent.

Where did you get that replacement plug?

Eek!

Where did you get yours? My alternator died, possibly last Thursday, but just became apparent yesterday when electrical was acting weird. I had kind of a growling noise that was RPM dependent.

Where did you get that replacement plug?

Picked mine up on Ebay...but most auto parts stores should be able to get you one. The wire colors likely will not match...but its a simple to just note their locations.

ALTERNATOR REPAIR PLUG HARNESS 3-WIRE PIN FOR LEXUS LX470 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER | eBay

Unbolt the PS pump. I removed the reservoir tank and yanked it from the top. Came right out without much effort. Buy a replacement housing for the exciter wire because mine exploded.

Yes. I did this last month in a parking lot in 95° heat. Removing the PS pump gets you the clearance you need to get one of the alternator mounting bolts out and gives you room to wiggle the alternator around to pull it out. I was able to get mine out the bottom without removing any hoses, radiator, or really anything, but the PS pump had to come loose. You don't lose any fluid, so don't stress about unbolting it. Leave the PS hoses attached—just remove the bolts holding the pump in and move it out of the way. Also, you can't easily see it from the bottom, but there are holes in the PS pulley so you can run a deep socket through the pulley to get the bolts out. I didn't see that until I got it off. Would have been sooooooo much easier. Really not a hard job once you get going. I ended up having some issues and had to pull it out and put a second alternator in (long story). The first one took me just about an hour. The second time was like 10-15 minutes. Seriously. Once you know where all the bolts are and how to position things, it's a piece of cake.

Just did the alternator on the wife's V8 4Runner. Had to pull the skid plate , P/S pump pulley and unbolt the sway bar but it wasn't too bad. LC is getting an upgrade soon so I'll be curious to see the difference.

On my last alternator job, I removed it at the same time I replaced my PS pump. I was able to slide the alternator out through the passenger side wheel well (after removing the skirt). Whether it can be removed with the PS pump hoses in the way, I don't know.
IMG_3626.jpg

Well my Alternator took a dump on the wife last night. Ordered a replacement and need to change it today after I pick it up. Sounds straightforward, we shall see. Debating on whether I want to drop the radiator or not. Power steering hoses are leaking some good fluid down the hoses and that might be what has gucked up the connection on the alternator. Not really looking forward to this as I just worked on the truck last week replacing the valve cover gaskets. Oh well she has over 200k and I think its the original alternator, so shes due.

anything important I should know before I tackle this in an hour or so?

Personally, even if it's a slightly longer job time, it's so much easier and less aggravating with the radiator removed. It only take about 10-15 minutes to pull it, and it might save you a week of busted knuckles and a good bit of frustration.

Thats why I was leaning towards removing it. Last think I wana do is have to replace something else too because I damaged it.

Radiator looks pretty straightforward to remove, i think

If you pull it out from the bottom there is no need to remove the radiator or even the lower radiator hose. This has been discussed MANY times here. Loosen the power steering pump and just slide it forward. The alternator can be wiggled past the lower radiator hose and transmission lines. Yes, its tight...but not a difficult thing to do. You won't damage your radiator...because the alternator will come nowhere near it. It will rub the shroud a bit and the lower radiator hose...but will come right out.

Getting the wiring harness off is the hardest thing and IF your connector is brittle might well break (regardless the removal technique) that is why I suggested having a new one on hand (see previous post) before you start.

Cool I will try to remove it without removing the radiator first if no luck there then I will try it with removing the radiator. I am having trouble finding the wiring harness for the alternator as I expect that mine is original and will break. Might have to get it from the Toyota dealer :(

Power steering hoses are leaking some good fluid down the hoses and that might be what has gucked up the connection on the alternator...

anything important I should know before I tackle this in an hour or so?
Removing the skirt in my picture above gives you better access to the connector. Also, I'd suggest fixing your PS issue now. PS/Tranny fluid into the internals of my alternator could've been it's demise, I'm not sure.

well in that case, does anyone know off the top of their head if the Power steering hoses from the reservoir are the same on a LC as a LX470?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom