Removing air conditioner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have started the process of removing the 2F motor from my 1986 FJ60. It has air conditioning and I am presuming that it still is under pressure because the PO told me it worked. I can see that life will be a whole lot easier if the AC stuff can be removed for the motor pull. How do I do that without being injured. (Taking it to an AC shop is out of the question at this point because it is too far and the motor is toast.)

Just crack one of the fittings that goes into the condenser it will hiss, just let the pressure drain out.

The motor can be removed without disconnecting the hoses. The condenser can swing out of the way.

60wag said:
The motor can be removed without disconnecting the hoses. The condenser can swing out of the way.

thats what I did, plenty of room, no need to mess with something if you don't have to.

Keeping it intact

I was told by a local mechanic today that the shop that does AC work charges about $150 to recharge an air conditioner. And, he was not certain if this was with the NEW freon. Thus, I will take the advice and try to pull all the AC stuff to the side. Thanks..

Warning: You can be injured doing this.
Liquid (that is normally a vapor at room temperature) under pressure immediately drops to its mean boiling point when released from said pressure.
In the case of R-12, this temperature is far below 0°F. You can get frostburn. And if you get it in your eyes, you can go blind.
If you're in an unventilated area, you can suffocate.
And if your neighbors don't like you, and they report you doing this, you can be heavily fined or imprisoned. At least in the US.

Just want you to be aware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom