Removing 3B water pump pulley? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, so my cooling system upgrade is going well. Rad's out, thermostat's out, hoses out, now trying to remove the water pump pulley to inspect (and possibly replace) the water pump. Removed the 4 nuts holding the fan spacer and pulley, but the latter won't come out. Pulley seems loose, but the fan spacer seems locked on there and won't budge. Am I doing something wrong? Any tips on removing it? I've removed the fan from the fluid coupler but that's about it. I figured I'd check before going further because I don't want to damage anything. Thanks for your help.

p.s. anybody have a spare water pump pulley? Mine looks pretty ratty...

Note: I put the nuts back on before taking the picture, obviously I was trying to yank the pulley off with the nuts off :)

Last edited:
you've released the pulley tension on the belt right? I'd get the belt right off there. Did this in February and it all worked pretty straight forward. You may need to use some creative persuasion if its stuck, but I believe mine fell off pretty easily.

You could probably buzz that up nice and clean with a wire wheel, just make sure everything is smooth before putting it back together.

Grab the fluid coupler and rock it back and forth and eventually the fan spacer will work it's way off. Once the spacer is off the pulley should be easily removed. I encountered the same problem when I had to remove my fan to install a fan shroud.
I think the pulley will be fine. As long as it's not warped it should be good. When it's removed take a wire brush to it to get the rust off of it and then paint it (but don't paint inside the groove where the belt goes).

take a piece of wood and hit the the pulley with your hammer(wood in between). Smack it on each side. It will pop off. Nothing is holding it on ther but time.

Your pulley is fine. Sand it down and paint the non belt area with some tremclad.

Thanks again guys! Will do as you suggest and get the darn thing off today. The fluid coupler checks out fine which is good, now to check the water pump. Cheers!

Just to close the loop on this. Indeed, the fan unit pulled off the water pump spindle with a bit of persuasion. Before putting it back on, I put a bit of copper-ease on the spindle, so it would come out easier next time... Cleaned up the pulley and painted it with rust paint so it looks better. Tested out the clutch-fan assembly (there was a bit of tension on it, and when left out in the Sun to warm up, the tension increased nicely). And checked out the bearing on the water pump (turned smoothly with some resistance, and could hear the pump engaging nicely). At a bit over 200,000kms, I understand there's quite a few kms left in this pump!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom