Removed my hood liner to replace it….I think it does matter for paint…. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thoughts?

7FDAD7BB-39A4-461B-96E3-25A99275C79D.jpeg

8BE26E0F-DE74-43B3-B86E-23227C019739.jpeg

I think your hood stayed warmer there and melted the snow.

Are you concerned the heat will damage the paint?

Take an ir thermometer and see the temp of the hood after driving a while.

Remember the top side of the hood gets extremely hot in summer in some areas.

There is a debate as to whether removing the liner would leave your paint at risk. It was 15 degrees tonight and the entire rest of car was frozen iced over…

There is a debate as to whether removing the liner would leave your paint at risk. It was 15 degrees tonight and the entire rest of car was frozen iced over…

Again, when the hoods warm get a temp reading. Then estimate the temp of a hood that sits in the sun. I bet theyre similar.

My truck has the liner in it and the clear and paint still come off in sheets on the hood and roof, but my truck came from Arizona according to the old papers in it. So I think the sun is a huge factor.

No scientific proof... but I think UV degradation is the biggest killer of 80 series clearcoat, not engine bay temps or heat from the sun. In Australia we see plenty of clearcoat peeling on all the horizontal surfaces (bonnet, roof, along tops of the doors), not just the bonnet (hood). Also, I haven't noticed paint damage being more prevalent over the exhaust side of the engine. I've also not noticed engine bay paint peeling off.

I've owned two 80s painted in basic white (no clearcoat) and even when paint was chalky, it still never peeled.

My dad owns a '91 turbodiesel with 350,000kms. His metallic maroon paint and clearcoat is all original and pristine. That vehicle has always been waxed & garaged, but spent a lot of it's life towing, so I expect had elevated underbonnet temps.

Last edited:
What @beatle_bayly says. UV is the clear coat killer - not the heat per se although the two typically come hand in hand. If the clear coat on the hood is peeling then chances are the same is happening on the roof which doesn't have the heat of the engine to deal with.
For some reason I always thought the hood insulation was some kind of fire suppression that was designed to come away from the hood and smother an engine fire. No idea where I heard that or even if it is true.

What @beatle_bayly says. UV is the clear coat killer - not the heat per se although the two typically come hand in hand. If the clear coat on the hood is peeling then chances are the same is happening on the roof which doesn't have the heat of the engine to deal with.
For some reason I always thought the hood insulation was some kind of fire suppression that was designed to come away from the hood and smother an engine fire. No idea where I heard that or even if it is true.

Yea it’s supposed to drop and put out a fire or something of that nature…

I've seen that repeated all over the internet, but I haven't seen any evidence whatsoever that it's true. No automotive engineers, nobody working for an auto manufacturer, nothing. I don't believe it.

As for damaging the paint, I think it depends entirely on the environment and usage. I ran without one for maybe a year after repainting with single stage urethane. But I'm in Oregon, which has pretty mild climates. If you're rock crawling in Arizona, you're more likely to exceed the maximum temperature of whatever paint you've got.

Looking at a few technical data sheets for automotive acrylic urethane, 300F appears to be a common maximum dry heat.

I replaced my badly degraded hood liner with one from Summit Racing. You have to cut it yourself. It's thicker than the factory one. Engine noise is noticeably reduced and it's almost comical how long frost and snow stay on the hood now.

I've seen that repeated all over the internet, but I haven't seen any evidence whatsoever that it's true. No automotive engineers, nobody working for an auto manufacturer, nothing. I don't believe it.

As for damaging the paint, I think it depends entirely on the environment and usage. I ran without one for maybe a year after repainting with single stage urethane. But I'm in Oregon, which has pretty mild climates. If you're rock crawling in Arizona, you're more likely to exceed the maximum temperature of whatever paint you've got.

Looking at a few technical data sheets for automotive acrylic urethane, 300F appears to be a common maximum dry heat.

I replaced my badly degraded hood liner with one from Summit Racing. You have to cut it yourself. It's thicker than the factory one. Engine noise is noticeably reduced and it's almost comical how long frost and snow stay on the hood now.
What part number did you start with? I need to replace mine, but somewhat unwilling to pay the price for it.

Yea it’s supposed to drop and put out a fire or something of that nature

Yup. An oil soaked fire suppression blanket. Works every time :rofl:...

The hood liner probably best functions to keep the engine a bit warmer while stopped between short trips in cold climates.

I think I paid close to $200 for OEM last year, so aftermarket options should be considered. The job it performs is questionable here in the Sonoran Desert, as I'm sure the paint gets plenty of heat and UV just sitting in a parking lot at lunch.

Don't underestimate the value of a routine polish/wax at helping filter those UV rays!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom