Removed Head...anyone else found a loose head bolt? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

when you live around only small towns...you can't trust just anybody to do this. If it was a '97 Chevy Pickup....yes, but it's not.

I grew up and learned to wrench in rural Mississippi and your statement brings back memories. Was a good place for me to learn resourcefulness, especially with the farm wrenching I did and limited budget I had, but maintaining/repairing older autos is so much easier for me these days with the resources of larger cities and the internet at hand.

If I were in your position, as long as you don't find big issues in your inspection, I'd just order a few spare head bolts along with the new head gasket and then button her back up to get it running until you do your full rebuild. I'd replace any seals/gaskets that need it along the way but wouldn't go looking for things to fix since you plan to replace all in the Fall. Typically I'd recommend all new head bolts every time you replace the head gasket but yours are single use and you should be ok as long as you have a few on hand as spares to replace them individually if they fail during the install torque process.

I grew up and learned to wrench in rural Mississippi and your statement brings back memories. Was a good place for me to learn resourcefulness, especially with the farm wrenching I did and limited budget I had, but maintaining/repairing older autos is so much easier for me these days with the resources of larger cities and the internet at hand.

If I were in your position, as long as you don't find big issues in your inspection, I'd just order a few spare head bolts along with the new head gasket and then button her back up to get it running until you do your full rebuild. I'd replace any seals/gaskets that need it along the way but wouldn't go looking for things to fix since you plan to replace all in the Fall. Typically I'd recommend all new head bolts every time you replace the head gasket but yours are single use and you should be ok as long as you have a few on hand as spares to replace them individually if they fail during the install torque process.

^^^^

That was my thought as well. So already have a full set on hand.

Always prudent to be 'prepared' if you can.

Head Bolts.jpg

@flintknapper - if you are planning to rebuild the engine in the fall why not combine that work with the headgasket now and pull the whole engine out to make things easier? Or is it a wait and see after the headgasket is done, perhaps the rebuild can wait a few years...

@flintknapper - if you are planning to rebuild the engine in the fall why not combine that work with the headgasket now and pull the whole engine out to make things easier? Or is it a wait and see after the headgasket is done, perhaps the rebuild can wait a few years...

I was getting ready to do quite a bit of work to my Wife's LX470 (some of it un-needed but just want to freshen it up all at one time).

** Steering Rack, Wheel Bearings, Brake Pads & Rotors, Tie Rod Ends, Upper & Lower Ball Joints, Oil Cooler Seals, All new Bushings, Timing Belt, Water Pump and all the trimmings**

That is going to take me awhile...so I'll need to have Her vehicle for at least a week (I'm old and slow). In the meantime...it's Tax Season and She is an accountant...so has to be at work all hours of the day and night right now. So...She will need to drive the Land Cruiser while I work on Hers, I am retired. That is why the head gasket thing needs to be attended to post-haste.

It's a timing issue and a reluctance on my part to let anyone else work on our vehicles if I can help it.

Last edited:
Delete

@flintknapper - any chance you remember which valve seals went on the intake or exhaust side? Bell shaped on the exhaust and straight edge on the intake?

@flintknapper - any chance you remember which valve seals went on the intake or exhaust side? Bell shaped on the exhaust and straight edge on the intake?

Yes Sir,

Addressed in your more recent thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom