Removed front drums. Everything is covered in grease... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yeah. I have no idea if the PO did this, or if it is a seal gone bad. When I say "covered" I mean I removed at least a pound of grease from behind the brake drum. It was all over the inside of the drum, the wheel cylinders, shoes, etc. Like someone filled the drum to the brim and installed.

The passenger side front drum was maybe a quarter the volume of grease.

Three rolls of shop towels, two cans of brake cleaner later, some shoe adjustment and wow, I actually have front brakes.

I'll be rebuilding both knuckles and replacing the wheel bearings as well as the driver's side front wheel has movement (when lifted) in the 6/12 o'clock position.

Am I insane for thinking that grease should not be covering the brake shoes? If not, what in the world could have caused this? It seemed 100% grease, not any oil, but who knows if they mixed.

just more fun and games on a central american cruiser....there are no limits to amount of shady s*** you'll find.
no, it's not supposed to be that way, and if its not clearly mixed with gear oil, it was put there intentionally.

just more fun and games on a central american cruiser....there are no limits to amount of shady s*** you'll find.
no, it's not supposed to be that way, and if its not clearly mixed with gear oil, it was put there intentionally.
Yeah. That's the conclusion I'm coming to. The brake shoes, cylinders, and drums are almost in new condition. Makes me think that this is mechanic incompetence?

Yeah. I have no idea if the PO did this, or if it is a seal gone bad. When I say "covered" I mean I removed at least a pound of grease from behind the brake drum. It was all over the inside of the drum, the wheel cylinders, shoes, etc. Like someone filled the drum to the brim and installed.

The passenger side front drum was maybe a quarter the volume of grease.

Three rolls of shop towels, two cans of brake cleaner later, some shoe adjustment and wow, I actually have front brakes.

I'll be rebuilding both knuckles and replacing the wheel bearings as well as the driver's side front wheel has movement (when lifted) in the 6/12 o'clock position.

Am I insane for thinking that grease should not be covering the brake shoes? If not, what in the world could have caused this? It seemed 100% grease, not any oil, but who knows if they mixed.
Very unlikely the shoes will ever be any good once they get caked with grease no matter how much you try to clean them.
Wash drums with soap and water and new shoes.
Good time to consider a disk conversion.

Very unlikely the shoes will ever be any good once they get caked with grease no matter how much you try to clean them.
Any suggestions on disc conversion? I actually used a very large ultrasonic cleaner to take care of the drums.

Any suggestions on disc conversion? I actually used a very large ultrasonic cleaner to take care of the drums.
I got my kits through Manafree. They were an easy install although getting a few of the last fitting took some time.
Disks with grease on them will not work any better than the drums so make sure you have fixed that problem first.
Cleaning the drums is not the big problem, it is the brake shoes.
Once they get permeated they will never work right.

My thoughts exactly.

It’s amazing at how many South American trucks are imported with beautiful body work, interior with all the mechanicals sub par.

I just did my knuckles and upgraded the inner seal with a Marlin Crawler seal.

Also, be sure to use the OEM knuckle centering tool 09634-60014. On my rig, the shims were off significantly creating leaks and poor front brakes.

With my drums turned, new seals and wheel cylinders properly adjusted, I can now stop straight with no pulling. I did not go for front disk brakes because I like trying to make old stuff work.

F90356FF-8E96-43CE-BF5D-7E61E3605AAB.jpeg

Last edited:
It’s amazing at how many South American trucks are imported with beautiful body work, interior with all the mechanicals sub par.

Also, be sure to use the OEM knuckle centering tool 09634-60014. On my rig, the shims were off significantly creating leaks and poor front brakes.

With my drums turned, new seals and wheel cylinders properly adjusted, I can now stop straight with no pulling. I did not go for front disk brakes because I like trying to make old stuff work.

View attachment 3178156
Wow wee! Looks amazing. Great job.

View attachment 3178156
Honestly there's nothing wrong with drums in most circumstances....their only real down fall is the effort required to keep them properly adjusted.

View attachment 3178156
Wow, looks amazing. Thanks for the info, although I wish that tool could be rented. Seems like a once or twice use tool for ~$450, unless I'm looking in the wrong places.

I could be wrong but I beleive I have seen it rented in the classified section:hmm:

I could be wrong but I beleive I have seen it rented in the classified section:hmm:
There are a few available to rent from a couple of members here, we're all lucky that they help out like that.

Kick around the weeds long enough and you can find one. I'm sure a quick search can turn up something.

<snip> It’s amazing at how many South American trucks are imported with beautiful body work <snip>

Perfectly coiffed bondo over cheese-grater panels. Thickly covered in glass-hard brittle paint.

Perfectly coiffed bondo over cheese-grater panels. Thickly covered in glass-hard brittle paint.
What's funny, I actually did a fairly comprehensive inspection prior to purchase. Frame rust free (not just painted over rust), all compression checked out, plus, I got it for a very low price, anticipating the joy of fixing and wrenching as issues arise.

I'm sure there are a ton of south American import disasters, but perhaps not all? At least I hope not.

I'm sure there are a ton of south American import disasters, but perhaps not all? At least I hope not.
Theoretically possible it's not universal. I've yet to see one however.

What's the most common things you see in SA imports? Not saying my truck is perfect, and I am hoping that I can give her some good golden years.

In a nutshell, A shiny new skin on a nasty old vehicle. As the old saying goes... Beauty is only skin-deep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom