Removed front drive shaft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

AlaskanWheeler

SILVER Star
Threads
While I wait for a new drive shaft; can i still use my rig for daily driving?
Thanks

Yes.

Lock center diff. (if you have the CDL button on your console) and drive away.

I drive with my front drive shaft off at all time and put front shaft back in only when wheeling.

Only if you have put in a CDL switch and done the Pin7 mod. Otherwise you're going to toast the transfer case VC pretty quick and go pretty slow.

If no center diff lock switch:

Put t-case in low, make sure center diff is locked. Pull appropriate fuse. Put t-case back in high; center diff will remain locked and you're good to go.

Thanks for the tip, I do have the diff lock switch.
Thanks again

You don't think it could damage the viscous coupler if the center diff's not locked?

Honestly asking,

Curtis

No I don't. I think the VC can take it--it's a pretty beefy unit.

And to be really honest--I have a few "spares" lying around if anything happens.

;)

You don't think it could damage the viscous coupler if the center diff's not locked?

Honestly asking,

Curtis

It may or may not be damaged, I agree that it's a beefy unit. A couple have driven with it unlocked without issue, but why, it's easy to lock? When unlocked there is a bunch of slip from the VC, almost like 2 torque converters.

Honestly asking,

Curtis

The 7-pin mod is not necessary to lock the center diff. The CDL switch is. 7-pin just makes it possible to UNLOCK the center diff in low. And to be honest i'm not really sure it's a worthwhile mod really. I'm considering undoing it but i've been too lazy. Now i have to remember to lock the center diff every time i go to low and 99% of the time i want it locked in low so what's the point?

Why did you quote me as a preface to your response? I don't see what my statements have to do with yours.

:confused:

Its in preface to the 7pin only unlocks LO. So as Beno & Leroy said with the CDL you could enage the CDL in high and be ok.

Did I understand any of that correctly?

Last edited:
Its in preface to the 7pin only unlocks LO. So as Beno & Leroy said with the CDL you could enage the CDL in high and be ok.

Did I understand any of that correctly?

Oh I see!

It's because I quoted Beno in *my* response. I was just making sure I got his attention. ;p

So yes: If no front driveshaft, better to have the center diff locked rather than rely on the viscous coupler. Accomplish this via either a CDL dash switch or by locking in low and pulling the fuse. 7-pin mod is irrelevant.

:cheers:

The 7-pin mod is not necessary to lock the center diff. The CDL switch is.

The switch isn't needed to lock the center for high range driving. Shift low range to lock, pull the Diff fuse, shift high range and drive. When you want it unlocked, simply replace the fuse and it will unlock.

7-pin just makes it possible to UNLOCK the center diff in low. And to be honest i'm not really sure it's a worthwhile mod really. I'm considering undoing it but i've been too lazy. Now i have to remember to lock the center diff every time i go to low and 99% of the time i want it locked in low so what's the point?

My main use for it is laziness inspired. A lot of our local trails are in sand washes, that have obstacles dispersed in them. At the first obstacle I setup the lockers needed, when clear of it, hit the CDL button to unlock all, on approach to the next one hit the button to lock everything, repeat. One touch locking.:hillbilly:

The switch isn't needed to lock the center for high range driving. Shift low range to lock, pull the Diff fuse, shift high range and drive. When you want it unlocked, simply replace the fuse and it will unlock.

My main use for it is laziness inspired. A lot of our local trails are in sand washes, that have obstacles dispersed in them. At the first obstacle I setup the lockers needed, when clear of it, hit the CDL button to unlock all, on approach to the next one hit the button to lock everything, repeat. One touch locking.:hillbilly:

Ok :cheers:, think we are all the same page here :)

Only if you have put in a CDL switch and done the Pin7 mod. Otherwise you're going to toast the transfer case VC pretty quick and go pretty slow.

Why does someone ALWAYS bring up the Pin 7 mod when all the OP needs is to lock the CDL in HIGH?

Like it's been said before, the Pin 7 mod is to UNLOCK in LOW. That's all.

Why does someone ALWAYS bring up the Pin 7 mod when all the OP needs is to lock the CDL in HIGH?

Like it's been said before, the Pin 7 mod is to UNLOCK in LOW. That's all.

Standard mis-conception :meh::flipoff2:

Pretty much. :meh:

Or just being in a hurry and having the mental link of, "to get complete control over CDL on/off the pin7 is required..."

You are all correct though. The CDL switch is not required to run without the front drive shaft, but it makes it so you do not have to pull a fuse to pull off the trick. The pin7 gets you full flexibility in low range as well.

As for why you would want to be able to turn it off in low range (pin7)...

-moving around a heavy trailer at low speeds or tight spots where front end push from center lock are not appreciated

-wanting to spin the rear end to move it over while keeping the front end set (with brake pedal pushed) while on muddy ground without having to leave low range

Those come to mind. There are probably others.

thread revival...

Or just being in a hurry and having the mental link of, "to get complete control over CDL on/off the pin7 is required..."

You are all correct though. The CDL switch is not required to run without the front drive shaft, but it makes it so you do not have to pull a fuse to pull off the trick. The pin7 gets you full flexibility in low range as well.

As for why you would want to be able to turn it off in low range (pin7)...

-moving around a heavy trailer at low speeds or tight spots where front end push from center lock are not appreciated

-wanting to spin the rear end to move it over while keeping the front end set (with brake pedal pushed) while on muddy ground without having to leave low range

Those come to mind. There are probably others.

Since I am doing this mod prob next week,

what other scenarios may warrant a pin 7 mod? I don't quite get the ones you stated, maybe I've haven't faced these situations before......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom