remove tension before removing crank bolt? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
will it be safe to remove the crank bolt without loosening the tension? I will be installing the supercharger crank pulley and was wondering if I can get away without doing so.

Thank you

Yes, the harmonic balancer bore is pretty long, but I don't know how you're going to get the balancer off with the belts on.

Supercharger pulley just adds on the crank
You probably don't need to since the HB slides on a few inches.

However, being the OCD that I am, I would release the tension so that when I retorque the bolt, there isn't side pressure causing a micro-misalignment afterwards and introduce a slight vibration because all tolerances are to one side.

But that's me. Can it be done? Yes.

Unless the existing belts are new, installing the supercharger is the prime time to install all new belts. Belts are far easier to replace during this time rather than to be forced to do so down the road as the SC belt will need to be removed to do that.

You probably don't need to since the HB slides on a few inches.

However, being the OCD that I am, I would release the tension so that when I retorque the bolt, there isn't side pressure causing a micro-misalignment afterwards and introduce a slight vibration because all tolerances are to one side.

But that's me. Can it be done? Yes.
I loosened the belt, not that much more steps hehe
Unless the existing belts are new, installing the supercharger is the prime time to install all new belts. Belts are far easier to replace during this time rather than to be forced to do so down the road as the SC belt will need to be removed to do that.
I recently refreshed all my belts. I decided to loosen all the belts 😬

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom