Remove Smog Pump as Part of Power Steering? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
When I do the minitruck power steering, I am wondering what to do with my Air Pump (Smog Pump). The rest of the emissions stuff was removed by the PO. The hoses are still connected to the Smog Pump. Questions:

1) Not sure if it will still fit with Bill Dorry's Brackets
2) If it does fit, should I leave it in and by a Belt that goes around both
3) Should I just remove it.

Doing a search I found a similar post that no one reponded to with an answer.

I am leaning towards removing it and just connecting the input and output hoses together, or routing the input hose to where the output hose goes if it is long enough. Anything wrong with this approach?

bull said:
what will power the water pump if you remove the smog pump?

I asked that one and plenty of people assured that they have no cooling problems with the one belt around the alternator. But with a P/S pump mounted you run the second belt around the crank and waterpump same as before.

Romer, If the pump isn't doing anything, why keep it? Just don't throw it away. Bill Dorry's mount will put your P/S pump just above where the smog pump was and might give you room to keep the pump (I'm not sure). You can use the smogpump bracket with a little bit of fab work, or Mark's off road has a replacement for the smog mount that works with a saginaw pump directly.

errr-- it IS a Saginaw pump that you have in mind? The above may not apply to use of a Toyota pump :)

Just ditch the smog pump and pull the air rail (if its still there) and put bolts in the holes in the head and plug the ones in the air cleaner. It will give you more room, less overall drag on the engine and if the rest of your emissions is gone its not doing you any good anyway.

bull said:
what will power the water pump if you remove the smog pump?

Like Honk says, if you have a 2 groove waterpump pulley, you can have two belts running the WP. That's what I did.

Ed

Thanks, The rail was gone when I bought it. I'll probably take the pump out. I have two in line to buy it if I take it out

IanB said:
Just ditch the smog pump and pull the air rail (if its still there) and put bolts in the holes in the head and plug the ones in the air cleaner. It will give you more room, less overall drag on the engine and if the rest of your emissions is gone its not doing you any good anyway.

What he said. :)

Further, if you're not running the smog pump, there's no need to try and mount the p/s/ pump high to avoid a non-existant pump. That is unless you just like being different. ;p

Don't leave it hooked up to the hoses and disconnect the belt (to reduce load on the engine). If you decide to take it off - take it all the way off!

If you do that, bad stuff will come down through the Air Rail and hoses and sieze your smog pump.

Don't ask me how I know this....

Rocky

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom