Remove / Relocate Charcoal Evap Canister & Electrical Opinions Welcome (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
96 LX450
So I have seen this mixed into some thread's, however I have searched all the applicable key words and not found the answer. The area behind the battery is a mess, and I have a touch of the OCD. I want to mount a bus-bar on the back of the battery tray. This will lessen the strain on the fusible links, and give me room to expand the electrical system

I plan to run 2 wires only off the battery+ (maybe winch in future), one to starter, and one to the bus-bar (150A Rated). From the bar I will run:

Post 1: In from Battery +
Post 2: 4ga wire-->150A Breaker-->distribution block in the cab, --> inverter, and a Blue Sea fuse block.
Post 3: 4ga wire-->150A Breaker--> puma compressor
Post 4: all fusible links & factory connections

If I decide to add additional circuits under the hood I will connect an additional Blue Sea fuse block to post 1, where the battery+ comes in

This seems like a very dependable and reliable arrangement I have pieced together from various posts here. The problem is, the area is cluttered and tight for so much electrical and the Evap Canister (a ground) is to close for comfort. The canister and associated brackets also take up a LOT of space here. I have read that people have removed this. I live in a no smog location. I am not sure how to plumb the hoses if I remove this. I would rather relocate the canister. I MIGHT do a dual battery setup ( would rather use this arrangement with a very good single battery ). The passenger side has room to spare, and mounting it there makes a lot of sense. Also I have removed my spare, so there is ample room to mount it in the rear under the cab, provided it doesn't have to be ABOVE the gas tank(?). If anyone has some thoughts, opinions, or preferably pictures of the canister being relocated or removed, I would love to hear them. I would also be interested in any issues you can see with my wiring plan.

Thank you all, your experience and opinions are appreciated

Last edited:
relocating the canister is not a big issue at all. Basically, get some gates high quality fuel hose,,, if not sure ur size,, any quality auto place will find what you need,, be sure to tell them it is for a emissions System,,,, with a built in vapor jacket material,, stops any leakage of fuel vapor from escaping the hose itself,,also keeps the smell of gasoline under the hood non existing...,, Napa sells it. You have three lines,,, 2 on the top of the canister,, and a drain on the bottom. Relocate, where you want it,,, then plumb it up ,,you can make a new custom braket yourself to make it work better for you, mounting wise. , and your good to go. Just keep it away from heat,,, your are dealing with fuel vapors,,, so if something goes wrong,,, a intense heat source will be a bad outcome...lol. As far as deleting ,, you can but you will need to go through the electrical over ride mods,,, to fool the computer,, especially 1996 and up,,,, OBD-II,,,, still can be done, but must be done correctly,, or the check engine light will come on... Use the search engine on here,,, and you will find what you are looking for. I relocated quite a few charcoal canisters,,, with no issues... Just use the right hose type,,,,, and route with care ,,, avoiding kinking of the hoses.

Good luck,,, post pictures of your completed setup...

CRUISER CARTEL

Last edited:
Thanks, This is what I figured, easy just to move it to pass side. If anyone has pictures of this I'd love to see some ideas for brackets / location.

I feel like it might be a bad idea to move it to the passenger side. It will be close to the exhaust there...

I believe the canister is fairly airtight, and that the fumes that it actually deals with ate minimal. These last hundreds of thousands of miles generally so I am thinking they process very little fumes. With the heat shields in place, I think the fender area of the drivers side is probably within a few degrees of the passenger side, especially when you consider air movement from the fan. I had thought about the heat, and the nature of the canister, but I don't see much difference one side to the next. This is why I was hoping for some pictures to see where people have relocated to in other builds

I moved my charcoal canister over to make room for the JDM washer tank. I used @landtank CC bracket. This opened up room to mount my PCV catch can. I then made a small bracket to mount my 80A circuit breaker out of the way to clean up the wiring on my dual batteries.
image.jpg
image.jpg

@NLXTACY now that you just aquired AJIK you have a charcoal relocation bracket for sale.

Do you have any other pictures you can post up how the bracket mounts the canister?

Last edited:
@NLXTACY now that you just aquire AJIK you have a charcoal relocation bracket for sale.

Do you have any other pictures you can post up how the bracket mounts the canister?

I'll take some more pics when I get home. I'm fairly certain there is at least one in the shipment of inventory.

I moved my charcoal canister over to make room for the JDM washer tank. I used @landtank CC bracket. This opened up room to mount my PCV catch can. I then made a small bracket to mount my 80A circuit breaker out of the way to clean up the wiring on my dual batteries. View attachment 1014011View attachment 1014012

White zip ties?!?! JFC! I THOUGHT you were anal retentive... I don't even know what to say.

I'm stock and here are some sucky cell pics. I'll take some better ones shortly.

These are the three holes that are used to mount the canister.
image.jpeg

These are the two holes where you mount the fuse box bracket.
image.jpeg

Any fuel vapors escaping the canister would be out of the vent tube on the bottom, and only when the CC gets totally saturated. I'm not totally sure what conditions this would be under, but for starters your fuel in the tank would probably need to be quite warm to vaporize that much fuel.

Either way, if you want to put it on the passenger side and are worried about fuel vapors near the exhaust, just route the vent hose out of the bottom over to the driver's side of the truck. The stock 1FZ-FE CC vent hose runs down between the firewall and inner fender on the driver's side.. I'd advise NOT doing this on the passenger side. It'd point straight at the cats..

Did we ever get any updated photos on this install?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom